JAK2 is Constitutively Associated with C-Kit and is Phosphorylated in Response to Stem Cell Factor
Stem cell factor (SCF) interacts with the receptor tyrosine kinase c-kit and has potent effects on hematopoiesis. We have examined the role of JAK2 in the SCF signal transduction pathway. JAK2 and c-kit were constitutively associated and treatment with SCF resulted in rapid and transient tyrosine phosphorylation of JAK2. Incubation of cells with JAK2 antisense oligonucleotides resulted in significant decreases in SCF-induced proliferation. These data suggest that JAK2 plays a role in SCF-induced proliferation.
KeywordsTyrosine Phosphorylation Antisense Oligonucleotide Stem Cell Factor Erythropoietin Receptor Steel Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.. Yarden Y, Kuang W-J, Yang-Feng T, Coussens L, Munemitsu S, Dull TJ, Chen E, Schlessinger J, Francke U, Ullrich A: Human proto-oncogene c-kit: a new cell surface receptor tyrosine kinase for an unidentified ligand. EMBO J 6: 3341, 1988Google Scholar
- 6.. Miyazawa K, Hendrie PC, Mantel C, Wood K, Ashman LK, Broxmeyer HE: Comparative analysis of signaling pathways between mast cell growth factor (c-kit ligand) and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in a human factor-dependent myeloid cell line involves phosphorylation of Raf-1, GTPase-activating protein and mitogen-activated protein kinase. Exp Hematol 19: 1110, 1991PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.. Weiham MJ, Schrader JW: Steelfactor-induced tyrosine phosphorylation in murine mast cells. J Immunol 149: 2772, 1992Google Scholar
- 9.. Hallek M, Druker B, Lepisto EV, Wood KW, Ernst TJ, Griffin JD: Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and Steel factor induce phosphorylation of both unique and overlapping signal transduction intermediates in a human factor-dependent hematopoietic cell line. J Cell Physiol 153: 176, 1992PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.. Matsuguchi T, Salgia R, Hallek M, Eder M, Druker B, Ernst TJ, Griffin JD: Shc phosphorylation in myeloid cells is regulated by granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor, interleukin-3, and Steel factor and is constitutively increased by p210BCR/ABL. J Biol Chem 269: 5016, 1994PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.. Muszynski KW, Ruscetti FW, Heidecker G, Rapp U, Troppmair J, Gooya JM, Keller JR: Raf-1 protein is required for growth factor-induced proliferation of hematopoietic cells. J Exp Med, in press.Google Scholar
- 24.. Barber DL, D’Andrea AD: Erythropoietin and interleukin-2 activate distinct JAK kinase family members. Mol and Cell Biol 14: 6506, 1994Google Scholar