On the Role of Non—Pair Potential Terms in Semiempirical Quantum—Mechanical Simulations
One of the recent trends in condensed matter physics and materials science is to develop simplified schemes for computer modelling of low-symmetry atomic configurations. These schemes are based on quantum-mechanical treatment of electronic structure in solids and it is expected that they will be much faster than ab initio methods but comparable in accuracy. The underlying motivation is the necessity to be able to describe properly more and more complex systems used in contemporary science and technology. For example, extended lattice defects such as grain boundaries or other interfaces, dislocations etc. control to a great extent mechanical, electrical and transformational properties of both naturally occuring polycrystalline materials and man-made composites. However, for a deeper understanding of their role we need to know more about the structure of such defects, their mobility and other characteristics.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.D. G. Pettifor and M. Aoki, in Structural and Phase Stability in Alloys, edited by J L Moran-Lopez and J M Sanches (Plenum Press, New York, 1992), p. 119.Google Scholar
- 8.W. A. Harrison, Electronic Structure and the Properties of Solids (Dover Publ., New York, 1989).Google Scholar
- 17.O. K. Andersen, A. V. Postnikov and S. Yu. Savrasov, in Applications of Multiple Scattering Theory to Materials Science, edited by W. H. Butler, P. H. Dederichs, A. Gonis, and R. L. Weaver, MRS Symposia Proceedings vol. 253 (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, 1992), p. 37.Google Scholar
- M. Šob, V. Vitek, and Y. Oh, in Computational Methods in Materials Science, edited by J. E. Mark, M. E. Glicksman, and S. P. Marsh, MRS Symposia Proceedings vol. 278 (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, 1992), p. 205.Google Scholar
- 20.O. K. Andersen, O. Jepsen, and D. Glötzel, in Highlights of Condensed-Matter Theory, edited by F. Bassani, F. Fumi, and M. P. Tosi (North-Holland, New York, 1985), p. 59.Google Scholar
- 21.V. Vitek and J. Th. M. De Hosson, in Computer-Based Microscopic Description of the Structure and Properties of Materials, edited by J. Broughton, W. Krakow, and S. T. Pantelides, MRS Symposia Proceedings vol. 63 (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, 1986), p. 137.Google Scholar
- 23.M Šob and V Vitek, to be published.Google Scholar