Test Facility for Joints of Subsize Cable-in-Conduit Conductors for NET/ITER Winding Studies
The joints between superconducting cables of the ITER coils present a major problem to be solved. A low resistance is required for the cooling, whereas small losses in variable magnetic field are needed for the stability. Different types of joints have already been suggested1,2. Some preliminary measurements2,3 have already been made on prototypes of joints cooled in a helium bath at 4.2 K and for low currents.
The test facility presented herein allows testing joint prototypes at the 1/8th scale (current up to 10 kA). These joints are cooled under the same conditions as those of ITER, by circulation of supercritical helium. A dipole allows submitting the joint to magnetic fields up to 4 teslas and to field variation rates up to dB/dt = 42 T/s.
KeywordsCurrent Lead Variable Magnetic Field Helium Flow Rate Flow Control Valve Thermal Shield
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.Turck,D .Ciazynski,P.Decool, B.Jager, P.Bruzzone, Conceptual and experimental studies of electrical joints for NET-ITER coils, Proceedings of the 17th Symp. Fusion Tech., Rome (1992),967Google Scholar
- 2.D. Ciazynski, P. Decool, P. Hertout, B. Jager, Test results of subsize joints between Nb3Sn cables as a first step for a design of joints for NET/ITER coils, Proceedings of 18th Symp. Fusion Tech., Karlsruhe (1994), to be published.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Ciazynski, “Task MWIN 1: Final Report on Phase II. Fabrication, Test Results and Analysis”, CEA report DRFC P/EM94 55, oct. 94.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Rouanet, “Etude et Réalisation du Circuit d’Alimentation d’un Dipôle Supraconducteur Générateur de Champ Magnétique”, thesis CNAM — Aix en Provence France, (nov. 1993).Google Scholar
- 5.G. Claudet, F. Viargues, G. Friesinger, R. Heller, Vapor cooled current leads for pulsed operation, Proceedings of the 13th Int. Cryog. Eng. Conf, Beijing China (1990),684.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Schenk et al, High voltage insulation and tests of cryogenic components for the superconducting model polo coil, Proceedings of the 15th Symp. Fusion Tech., Utrecht (1988), 1552.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Lesmond, J.C. Lottin, J.P. Lottin, Currents leads for ALEPH solenoid, Proceedings of the 12th Int. Cryog. Eng. Conf., Southampton (1988),247.Google Scholar