Extra- and Intracellular Oxygen Supply During Cortical Spreading Depression in the Rat
Cortical Spreading Depression was discovered fifty years ago 15, but the complexity of its mechanisms is still far from being understood. It was then the high time of Wolff’s vascular theory of migraine 25 when Lashley first calculated the velocity of a supposed electrophysiological phenomenon in the primary visual cortex that could cause the optical hallucinations of the migraine aura as the same velocity that characterizes CSD 12. Aróle for CSD in the pathophysiological scenario of migraine has become more and more attractive ever since, mainly by virtue of accumulating evidence for neuronal mechanisms as found in the pursuit of Moskowitz’ theory of neurogenic inflammation in migraine 14,l7.
KeywordsCortical Spreading Depression Near Infrared Spectroscopy Spreading Depression Migraine Aura Potassium Chloride Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cope, M., Delpy, D.T., Reynolds, E.O.R., Wray, S., Wyatt, J. and van der Zee, R, Methods of quantitating cerebral near infrared spectroscopy data, Adv Exp Biol Med, 33 (1988) 183–189.Google Scholar
- 5.Edwards, A.D., Brown, G.C., Cope, M., Wyatt, J.S., McCormick, D.C., Roth, S.C., Delpy, D.T. and Reynolds, O.R., Quantification of concentration changes in neonatal human cerebral cytochrome oxidase, J Appi. Physiol, 71 (1991) 1907–1913.Google Scholar
- 9.Jöbsis, F.F., Keizer, J.H., LaManna, J.C. and Rosenthal, M., Reflectance spectrophotometry of cytochrome aa3 in vivo., J Appi Physiol, 43 (5) (1977) 858–872.Google Scholar
- 12.Lashley, K.S., Patterns of cerebral integration indicated by the scotomas of migraine., Arch Neurol Psychiatry, 46 (1941) 331–339.Google Scholar
- 15.Leao, A.P., Spreading depression of activity in the cerebral cortex, JNeurophys, 7 (1944) 359–390.Google Scholar
- 23.van der Zee, P., Arridge, S.R., Cope, M. and Delpy, D.T., The effect of optode positioning on optical pathlength in near infrared spectroscopy of brain, in: Oxygen, transport, to. tissue XII., J (1990) 79–84.Google Scholar
- 25.Wolff, H.G., Headache and other head pain., Oxford University Press, New York, 1963.Google Scholar