William John Youden
b. 12 April 1900 d. 31 March 1971
Beginning with the balanced incomplete block designs known as Youden Squares, W. J. Youden created many designs tailored to the needs of the physical and engineering sciences.
KeywordsBalance Incomplete Block Design National Science Teacher Association Fundamental Physical Constant Interlaboratory Test Thompson Institute
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Selected works of Youden
- (1937). Use of incomplete block replications in estimating tobacco-mosaic virus. Contributions from Boyce Thompson Institute, 9, 50–57.Google Scholar
- (1951). Statistical Methods for Chemists. John Wiley and Sons, New York, N.Y., 126 pages.Google Scholar
- (1953). The chain block design (with W.S. Connor). Biometrics, 9, 127–140.Google Scholar
- (1954). New experimental designs for paired observations (with W.S. Connor). J. Res. Nat. Bur. Standards, 53, 191–196.Google Scholar
- (1955). Partially replicated Latin squares (with J.S. Hunter). Biometrics, 11, 399–405.Google Scholar
- (1959). Graphical diagnosis of interlaboratory test results. Industrial Quality Control, 15, No. 11, 24–28.Google Scholar
- (1961). Systematic errors in physical constants. Physics Today, 14, No. 9, 32–42.Google Scholar
- (1962). Experimentation and Measurement. Vistas of Science Series, National Science Teachers Association, Washington, D.C., 128 pages. Reprinted by the National Bureau of Standards as NBS Special Publication 672, 1984.Google Scholar
- (1972). Enduring values. Technometrics, 14, 1–11.Google Scholar
Biography and bibliography of Youden
- Cornell, John A. (1992). W.J. Youden—The man and his methodology. ASQC Statistics Division Newsletter, 13, No. 2, 9–18.Google Scholar
- Eisenhart, Churchill (1976). William John Youden. Dictionary of Scientific Biography. Charles C. Gillispie, ed., Scribner’s, New York, Vol. 14, pp. 552–557.Google Scholar
- Ku, Harry H. (1978). W.J. Youden. International Encyclopedia of Statistics (W.H. Kruskal and J.M. Tanur, eds.), The Free Press, New York, N.Y., pp. 1257–1261.Google Scholar
- Lasater, H.A. (ed.) (1972). Journal of Quality Technology, 4, 1–67.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 2001