The Bight of Abaco Pressure Experiment
In November-December of 1974, we conducted a joint experiment to investigate microscale air pressure fluctuations above surface gravity waves. The primary objective of this experiment was to study the vertical structure of the wave-induced component of these fluctuations and to estimate the corresponding differential and integral momentum transfer to the wave field. Secondary objectives included the resolution of differences between previous independent field measurements of wave-induced pressure by Dobson (l97l), Elliott (1972), and Snyder (1974), and the construction of a multidimensional model of the turbulent component of the air pressure field. We have, to one extent or another, succeeded in achieving all of these objectives and in due course will publish details in the literature. In this brief report, we wish to convey only the flavour of the investigation along with several somewhat preliminary findings.
KeywordsCoherence Azimuth Crest Dial Mast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dobson, F.W. and J.A. Elliott (1977) Wave-pressure correlation measurements over growing sea waves with a wave follower and fixed-height pressure sensors. Proceedings, NATO Symposium on Fluxes through the Air/Sea Interface and Wave Prediction, at lie de Bendor, France, September 1977Google Scholar
- Hasselmann, K. (1960) Grundgleichungen der Seegangsvoraussage. Schiffstechnik, 7: 191–195.Google Scholar
- Hasselmann, K., T.P. Barnett, E. Bouws, H. Carlson, D.E. Cartwright, K. Enke, J.A. Ewing, H. Gienapp, D.E. Hasselmann, P. Krusemann, A. Meerburg, P. Müller, D.J. Olbers, K. Richter, W. Sell, and H. Waiden (1973) Measurement of wind-wave growth and swell decay during the Joint North Sea Wave Project (JONSWAP). Ergänzungsheft zur Deutschen Hydrographischen Zeitschrift, Reihe A (8°), Nr. 12.Google Scholar
- Snyder, R.L. (1974) A field study of wave-induced pressure fluctuations above surface gravity waves. Journal of Marine Research, 32: 497–531.Google Scholar
- Snyder, R.L., R.B. Long, J. Irish, D.G. Hunley and N.C. Pflaum (1974) An instrument to measure atmospheric pressure fluctuations above surface gravity waves. Journal of Marine Research, 32: 485–496.Google Scholar