Fabric filtration is a physical separation process in which a fluid, either a gas or a liquid, containing solids is passed through a porous fabric medium, which retains the solids. This process operates in either a batch or semi continuous fashion since it is periodically necessary to remove the retained solids from the filtering medium. There are also filtration systems that are designed to operate in a continuous manner. As with other filtration techniques, it is usually the built-up solid cake that actually performs the filtration; therefore, it is important that an initial layer of deposit be formed at the beginning of the filtration operation.
KeywordsPressure Drop Fabric Filter Resistance Coefficient Fraction Void Volume Dust Removal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Happel>and H. Brenner, Low Reynolds Number Hydrodynamics with Special Applications to Particulate Media. Prentice-Hall, Englewood-Cliffs, N.J., 1965.Google Scholar
- 2.C. E. Williams, T. Hatch, and L. Greenberg, Heating, Piping, Air Cond. 12, 259–263 (April 1940).Google Scholar
- 3.C. E. Billings and J. E. Wilder, “Major Applications of Fabric Filters and Associate Problems,” Proc. EPA Symp. Control Fine-Particulate Emissions from Industrial Sources, San Francisco (January 1974).Google Scholar
- 4.C. E. Billings and J. E. Wilder, Handbook of Fabric Filter Technology, Vol. 1. NTIS No. PB 200 648, December 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.F. W. Cole, Filtrat. Sep. 17–25 (January February 1975).Google Scholar
- 6.D. B. Purchas, “Cake Filter Testing and Sizing: A Standardized Procedure ?” Proc. Filtration in Process Plant Design and Development: Liquid-Solids Sep. London (September 28–30, 1971).Google Scholar
- 7.H. E. Hesketh, Understanding and Controlling Air Pollution, 2nd ed. Ann Arbor Sci. Publ., Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1974.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Dennis and J. E. Wilder, Fabric Filter Cleaning Studies, EPA-650 2–75–009 (January 1975).Google Scholar
- 9.S. A. Reigel, R. P. Bundy, and C. D. Doyle, Pollut. Eng. 5(5) (1973).Google Scholar