Noninvasive Evaluation of Superficial Temporal to Middle Cerebral Artery Anastomosis
Noninvasive assessment of the patient with carotid occlusive disease has reached a degree of accuracy greater than 90%.1,2,5 Noninvasive techniques include bruit analysis by carotid phonoangiography, comparison of timed ocular pulse volume changes by oculoplethysmography, and assessment of collateral flow patterns using a Doppler flowmeter. These tests are used not only to diagnose carotid lesions in patients with carotid bruits or complaints of cerebrovascular disease but also to assess the postoperative status of carotid endarterectomy.
KeywordsInternal Carotid Artery Middle Cerebral Artery Common Carotid Artery Carotid Endarterectomy Ophthalmic Artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, W.H., Hayes, A.C. Non Invasive Laboratory Evaluation, the Loyola Experience, in Diagnosis and Treatment of Carotid Artery Disease, W.H. Baker, editor, Futura Publishing Co., Mt. Kisco, N.Y., 1979, pp. 82–89.Google Scholar
- 2.Barnes, R.W., Russell, H.E., Wilson, M. Doppler Ultrasonic Evaluation of Cerebrovascular Disease, University of Iowa Press, Iowa City, 1975.Google Scholar
- 3.Carney, A.L. Ocular plethysmography and suction ophthalmodynammometry in the diagnosis of carotid occlusive diseases. In Microvascular Anastomoses for Cerebral Ischemia, J.M. Fein and O.H. Reichman, editors, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.Chater, N.L., Weinstein, P.R., Gee, W. Augmentation of collateral hemispheric blood pressure following superficial temporal to middle cerebral artery anastomosis: Documentation by ocular plethysmography. In Microvascular Anastomoses for Cerebral Ischemia, J.M. Fein and O.H. Reichman, editors, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1978.Google Scholar
- 5.Kartchner, M.M., McRae, L.P., Morrison, F.D., 1973. Noninvasive detection and evaluation of carotid occlusive disease. Arch Surg 16:528,.Google Scholar
- 6.Reichman, O.H. Estimation of flow through STA bypass grafts. In Microvascular Anastomoses for Cerebral Ischemia, J.M. Fein and O.H. Reichman, editors, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1978.Google Scholar