Processes Affecting the Movement and Speciation of Mercury in the Marine Environment
Assessing the impact of the discharge of mercury on a marine ecosystem requires, among other things, knowledge of the behavior and fate of this element after it enters the sea. Despite the growth of information on this subject (Taylor 1978), a recent assessment of the literature (National Research Council 1978) has acknowledged the need for further studies.
KeywordsMercury Concentration Total Mercury Chlorophyll Level Total Mercury Concentration Cold Vapour Atomic Absorption Spectrometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Azam, R. F. Vaccaro, P. A. Gillespie, E. I. Moussalli, and R. E. Hudson. 1977. Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment: Effect of mercury on enclosed water columns. II. Marine bacterioplankton. Mar. Sci. Comm. 3: 313–329.Google Scholar
- P. Benes, and B. Havlik. 1979. Speciation of mercury in natural waters. In J. O. Nriagu, Ed., The biogeochemistry of mercury in the environment. Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam, pp. 175–202.Google Scholar
- W. A.Glooschenko 1969. Accumulation of 203 Hg by a marine diatom Chaetoceros costatum. J. Physiol. 5: 224.Google Scholar
- 0.Holm-Hansen, C. Lorenzen, R. W. Holmes, and J. D. H. Strickland. 1965.Fluorometric determination of chlorophyll. J. Cons. Int. Explor. Mer 30: 3-15.Google Scholar
- National Research Council. 1978. An assessment of mercury in the environment. Natural Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- H. V.Rice, D. A. Leighty, and G. C. McLeod. 1973. The effects of some trace metals on marine phytoplankton. Crit. Rev. Microbiol. 3: 27-49.Google Scholar
- M.Takahashi, G. T. Wallace, F. A. Whitney, and D. W. Menzel. 1977. Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment: Effects of mercury on enclosed water columns. I. Manipulation of experimental enclosures. Mar. Sci. Comm. 3: 291-312.Google Scholar
- D.Taylor 1978. Mercury as an environmental pollutant: A bibliography. ICI Ltd., The Kynoch Press, Birmingham, U.K.Google Scholar
- W. H.Thomas, D. L. R. Seibert, andM. Takahashi. 1977. Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment: Effect of mercury on enclosed water column. III. Phytoplankton population dynamics and production. Mar. Sci. Comm. 3: 331354.Google Scholar
- G.Topping 1977. Measurements and effects of sub-lethal levels of some heavy metals on marine life in simulated marine ecosystems. Proc. Analyt. Div. Chern. Soc. 14: 222-224.Google Scholar
- G. Topping, and H. L. Windom. 1977. Biological transport of copper at Loch Ewe and Saanich Islet: Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment. Bull. Mar. Sci. 27: 135–141.Google Scholar
- C. S. Yentsch and D. W. Menzel. 1963. A method for the determination of phytoplankton chlorophyll and phaeophytin by fluorescence. Deep Sea Res. 10: 221–231.Google Scholar