Processes Affecting the Movement and Speciation of Mercury in the Marine Environment
Assessing the impact of the discharge of mercury on a marine ecosystem requires, among other things, knowledge of the behavior and fate of this element after it enters the sea. Despite the growth of information on this subject (Taylor 1978), a recent assessment of the literature (National Research Council 1978) has acknowledged the need for further studies.
KeywordsBiomass Chlorophyll Mercury Phytoplankton Polyethylene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Azam, R. F. Vaccaro, P. A. Gillespie, E. I. Moussalli, and R. E. Hudson. 1977. Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment: Effect of mercury on enclosed water columns. II. Marine bacterioplankton. Mar. Sci. Comm. 3: 313–329.Google Scholar
- P. Benes, and B. Havlik. 1979. Speciation of mercury in natural waters. In J. O. Nriagu, Ed., The biogeochemistry of mercury in the environment. Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam, pp. 175–202.Google Scholar
- W. A.Glooschenko 1969. Accumulation of 203 Hg by a marine diatom Chaetoceros costatum. J. Physiol. 5: 224.Google Scholar
- 0.Holm-Hansen, C. Lorenzen, R. W. Holmes, and J. D. H. Strickland. 1965.Fluorometric determination of chlorophyll. J. Cons. Int. Explor. Mer 30: 3-15.Google Scholar
- National Research Council. 1978. An assessment of mercury in the environment. Natural Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- H. V.Rice, D. A. Leighty, and G. C. McLeod. 1973. The effects of some trace metals on marine phytoplankton. Crit. Rev. Microbiol. 3: 27-49.Google Scholar
- M.Takahashi, G. T. Wallace, F. A. Whitney, and D. W. Menzel. 1977. Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment: Effects of mercury on enclosed water columns. I. Manipulation of experimental enclosures. Mar. Sci. Comm. 3: 291-312.Google Scholar
- D.Taylor 1978. Mercury as an environmental pollutant: A bibliography. ICI Ltd., The Kynoch Press, Birmingham, U.K.Google Scholar
- W. H.Thomas, D. L. R. Seibert, andM. Takahashi. 1977. Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment: Effect of mercury on enclosed water column. III. Phytoplankton population dynamics and production. Mar. Sci. Comm. 3: 331354.Google Scholar
- G.Topping 1977. Measurements and effects of sub-lethal levels of some heavy metals on marine life in simulated marine ecosystems. Proc. Analyt. Div. Chern. Soc. 14: 222-224.Google Scholar
- G. Topping, and H. L. Windom. 1977. Biological transport of copper at Loch Ewe and Saanich Islet: Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment. Bull. Mar. Sci. 27: 135–141.Google Scholar
- C. S. Yentsch and D. W. Menzel. 1963. A method for the determination of phytoplankton chlorophyll and phaeophytin by fluorescence. Deep Sea Res. 10: 221–231.Google Scholar