Infrared Properties of Unusual Initial State Interactions
The related roles of gauge invariance and of initial coherent/ degenerate states in the factorization of QCD processes into short-distance and long-distance parts are discussed. For ππ →μ+μ - + X it is shown that although the systematic summation over all possible spectator interactions removes the outside soft-IR divergences in the non- overlapping ladder Glauber diagrams, unphysical inside soft-IR divergences persist. So, the on-shell Glauber region is not a gauge invariant concept which can be physically isolated from radiative corrections which non-trivially involve other diagrammatic regions. It is conjectured that in QCD non-factorization is inconsistent with local gauge invariance.
KeywordsCoherence Posite Milton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Doria, J. Frenkel and J. C. Taylor, Nucl. Phys. B169. 93 (1980); C. DiLieto, S. Gendron, I. C. Halliday and C. T. Sachrajda, Nucl. Phys. B183, 223 (1981); C. E. Carneiro, M. Day, J. Frenkel, J. C. Taylor and M. T. Thomas, Nucl. Phys. 45B183, 445 (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Fukuda, Phys. Lett. 73B, 33 (1978), and see references in Y. Kazama (these Proceedings).Google Scholar
- 5.T. Kinoshita, J. Math. Phys. 3, 650 (1962); T. D. Lee and M. Nauenberg, Phys. Rev. 133B, 1549 (1964); E. C. Poggio and H. R. Quinn, Phys. Rev. D14, 578 (1976); G. Sterman, Phys. Rev. D14, 2123 (1976); and G. Sterman and S. Weinberg, Phys. Rev. Lett. 39, 1436 (1977). Compare J. Cornwall and G. Tlktopoulos, Phys. Rev. D15, 2937 (1977); T. Kinoshita and A. Ukawa, Phys. Rev. D15, 1396 (1977); T. Appelquist and J. Carazzone, Nucl. Phys. B120, 77 (1977) and references in G. Sterman, A.I.P. Conf. Proc. No. 74 (ed. D. W. Duke and J. P. Owens, 1981 ).Google Scholar
- 7.C. A. Nelson, SUNY BING 10/18/82 (to appear in Nucl. Phys.).Google Scholar
- 11.A. H. Mueller, Phys. Lett. 108B, 355 (1982) and CU-TP-232; J. Collins, D. Soper and G. Sterman, Phys. Lett. 109B109B, 388 (1982) and ITP-SB-82-46; G. Date, ITP-SB-82-47.Google Scholar
- 12.W. Lindsay, D. Ross and C. Sachrajda, Phys. Lett. 117B, 105 (1982) and SHEP-81/82-6.Google Scholar
- 13.C. A. Nelson, SUNY BING 11/25/82 (to appear in Nucl. Phys.).Google Scholar
- 14.D. R. Yennie, S. C. Frautschi and H. Suura, Ann. Phys. (N.Y.) 13, 379 (1961); G. Grammer and D. R. Yennie, Phys. Rev. D8, 4332 (1973). Compare, S. Libby and G. Sterman, Phys. Rev. D18, 3252 (1978); J. C. Collins and G. Sterman, Nucl. Phys. B185, 172 (1981); J. C. Collins and D. E. Soper, 0ITS 155; and A. Sen, Phys. Rev. D24, 3281 (1981).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.S. J. Brodsky (these Proceedings).Google Scholar