Problems of Implementing a New Mathematics Curriculum
The fact that this conference is taking place points to ferment regarding the mathematics curriculum for the first two years of college. The present primacy of calculus in that curriculum is being questioned as being appropriate for students in a number of disciplines, especially in computer science. The “twilight of calculus” has been announced in at least one recent interesting and provocative paper .
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Report of the Commission on Mathematics, College Entrance Examination Board, 1959.Google Scholar
- A General Curriculum in Mathematics for Colleges, Committee on the undergraduate Program in Mathematics, Mathematical Association of America, 1965.Google Scholar
- Goals for School Mathematics, a Report of the Cambridge Conference on School Mathematics, Educational Services, Inc. (Houghton-Mifflin), 1963.Google Scholar
- Agenda for Action: Recommendations for School Mathematics in the 1980s, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1980.Google Scholar
- Information on Educational EQuality Project is available from Adrienne Bailey, Vice President for Academic Affairs, The College Board, 888 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10106.Google Scholar