Trophic Influences of Nerve on Skeletal Muscle Sarcolemma
Following surgical denervation, the combined effects of the absence of neural impulse activity and neurotrophic (non-impulse) factors are responsible for the changes reported in muscle metabolism. This study attempts to evaluate the relative contributions of these factors by comparing the effects of denervation and the blockage of neural impulse activity on various biochemical parameters of mixed muscle sarcolemma. Muscle paralysis was induced by repeated injection of Tetrodotoxin (TTx) to the sciatic nerve. After seven days of inactivity the isolated sarcolemma was analyzed for protein and glycoprotein composition, Na+/K+ ATPase activity, Concanavalin A binding to intact sarcolemma and to carbohydrate components separated in SDS-polyacrylamide gels and sialyl and galactosyl transferase activity.
The results have shown that following muscle inactivity all of the parameters except glycosyl transferases changed in a similar manner but to a lesser degree than denervation. It is concluded that trophic factors in addition to neural impulse activity play a role in the regulation of a number of surface membrane properties. These results are compared with other membrane parameters which are known to be under a similar control.
KeywordsSugar Sucrose Hydrate Carbohydrate EDTA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bray, J.J., Hubbard, J.I., and Mills R.G. (1979). J. Physiol. (London), 297, 479.Google Scholar
- Drachman, D.B., Stanley, E.B., Pestronk, A., Griffin, J.W., and Price, D.L. (1982). Jnl. Neurosa. 2, 232.Google Scholar
- Gutman, E., Vodicka, Z., and Zclena, J. (1955). Physiol. Bohemoslov., 4, 200.Google Scholar
- Jeffrey, P.L., Leung, W.N., and Rostas, J.A.P. (1979). In “Muscle, Nerve and Brain Degeneration” (A.D. Kidman and J.K. Tomkins, eds.), p. 32. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Jeffrey, P.L., Leung, W.N., and Rostas, J.A.P. (1981). In “New Approaches to Nerve and Muscle Disorders. Basic and Applied Contributions” (A.D. Kidman, J.K. Tomkins and R.A. Westerman, eds.), p.66. Excerpta Medica Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Jeffrey, P.L., Leung, W.N., and Rostas, J.A.P. (1983). In “Molecular Aspects of Neurological Disorders” (L. Austin and P.L. Jeffrey, eds.) p83. Academic Press, Sydney.Google Scholar