Carcinogen Bioassay Design
Bioassay is the measurement or estimation of animal response to a chemical ingredient. “Bioassay,” often used instead of the term “carcinogenic bioassay,” is time-consuming, expensive, and insensitive. Yet, to date, it is still the only acceptable procedure for assessing carcinogenic potential. Almost all known human carcinogens have also been demonstrated to be animal carcinogens. Although carcinogen bioassay is still an evolving procedure and will improve as the state of the art matures, the long-term solution to this evaluation of carcinogenic potential is to find faster, simpler, and more reliable indices of carcinogenesis. Exploration of substitutes for bioassay has generated considerable effort, a discussion of which forms the basis for the first portion of this book.
KeywordsDose Level Maximum Tolerate Dose Bladder Neoplasm Carcinogenic Potential Spontaneous Tumor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Druckery, H., in Potential Carcinogenic Hazards from Drugs, Truhaut, R., ed., UICC Monograph Ser. 7, 60 (1967).Google Scholar
- 2.Modified form. Page, N. P., in Environmental Cancer, Kraybill, H. F., and Mehlman, M. A., eds., Wiley, New York, 1977, pp. 87–171.Google Scholar
- 3.Page, N. P., op. cit.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Environ. Pathol. Toxicol. 3 (No. 3), 1980, Entire issue.Google Scholar
- 5.Hartwell, J. L., Public Health Service 149, 1951.Google Scholar
- 8.Boyl and, E., and Sydnor, K. L., Brit. J. Cancer 16, 731 (1962).Google Scholar
- 13.Sugal, M., Witting, L. A., Tsuchiyama, H., and Kummerow, F. A., Cancer Res. 22, 510 (1962).Google Scholar
- 14.Tannenbaum, A., Cancer Res. 4, 673 (1944).Google Scholar
- 16.Haseman, J., personal communication.Google Scholar
- 18.Fears, T., and Douglas, J. F., J. Environ. Pathol. Toxicol. 1, 125 (1977).Google Scholar
- 20.Griesemer, R. A., and Cueto, C., in Molecular and Cellular Aspects of Carcinogen Screening Tests, Montesano, R., Bartsch, H., and Tomatis, L., eds, IARC Scientific Publications No. 27, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, 1980, pp. 259–281.Google Scholar