How to Compensate for Bone Loss
Several articles have been published in the past on the use of bone graft in protrusio acetabuli and acetabular deficiencies with total hip arthroplasty [1–8]. The articles strongly denote successful incorporation of the grafts. To date, no report has described the use of bone grafts in bony defects with total knee arthroplasty.
KeywordsTotal Knee Arthroplasty Cancellous Bone Bone Defect Femoral Condyle Tibial Plateau
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Trinchi E, Perusi M:Surgical reconstruction of the base of the acetabulum in migration of acetabular prostheses. Ital J Orthop Traum 6:193, 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.Hey wood AWB:Arthroplasty with a solid bone graft for protrusio acetabuli. J Bone Joint Surg 62B:332, 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.Parker SM, Hastings DE:Protrusio acetabulae in rheumatoid arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg 56B:587, 1974.Google Scholar
- 4.Harris WH, Crothers O, Oh I:Total hip replacement and femoral head bone grafting for severe acetabular deficiency in adults. J Bone Joint Surg 59A:752, 1977.Google Scholar
- 5.McCollum DC:Bone grafting in acetabular protrusion. Orthop Trans 2:262, 1978.Google Scholar
- 6.Ranawat CS, Greenberg R:Tripartite fracture of the acetabulum after total hip replacement arthroplasty:A case report. Clin Orthop Rel Res 155:48, 1981.Google Scholar
- 7.Ranawat CS:Management of Protrusio Acetabuli in Rheumatoid Patients. Reconstructive Surgery of the Shoulder, Elbow, Hip and Knee. An In-Depth Course and Workshop at UCLA, September-October 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.Sotelo, Garza A, Charnley J:The results of Charnley arthroplasty of the hip performed for protrusio acetabuli. Clin Orthop 132:12, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Insall JN, Lachiewicz PF, Burstein AH:The posterior stabilized condylar prosthesis:A modification of the total-condylar design. Two- to four-year clinical experience. J Bone Joint Surg 64A:1317, 1982.Google Scholar