Origin and Diagenesis of Middle Devonian Pinnacle Reefs Encased in Evaporites, “A” and “E” Pools, Rainbow Field, Alberta
The Rainbow area of petroleum production in Western Canada is located some 400 miles (640 km) northwest of Edmonton, Alberta (Fig. 8-1). The main production is found in Middle Devonian limestone and dolostone reefs, which are encased in evaporites (Figs. 8-2-8-4). The reefs form the Rainbow Member of the Upper Keg River Formation in the Upper Elk Point Subgroup, which is of Givetian Age (Langton and Chin, 1968).
KeywordsPorosity Mold Hydrocarbon Shale Compaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BARSS, D.L., A.B. COPELAND, and W.D. RITCHIE, 1970, Geology of Middle Devonian reefs, Rainbow area, Alberta, Canada: Amer. Assoc. Petroleum Geologists Mem. 14, p. 14–49.Google Scholar
- LANGTON, J.R., and G.E. CHIN, 1968, Rainbow Member facies and related reservoir properties, Rainbow Lake, Alberta: Canadian Soc. Petroleum Geologists Bull., v. 16, p. 104–143.Google Scholar
- MCCAMIS, J.D., and L.S. GRIFFITH, 1967, Middle Devonian facies relationships, Zama area, Alberta: Canadian Soc. Petroleum Geologists Bull., v. 15, p. 434–467.Google Scholar
- SCHMIDT, V., 1970, Diagenesis of Keg River bioherms, Rainbow Lake, Alberta (abst.): Amer. Assoc. Petroleum Geologists Bull., v. 54, p. 868.Google Scholar
- SCHMIDT, V., 1971, Early carbonate cementation in Middle Devonian bioherms, Rainbow Lake, Alberta: in Bricker, O.P., ed., Carbonate Cements: Johns Hopkins Univ. Studies in Geology, No. 19, p. 209–215.Google Scholar
- SCHMIDT, V., D.A. McDonald, and I.A. McIlreath, 1977, Growth and diagenesis of Middle Devonian Keg River cementation reefs, Rainbow Field, Alberta: in I.A. McIlreath and R.D. Harrison (eds.), supplemental to The Geology of Selected Carbonate Oil, Gas, and Lead-Zinc Reservoirs in Western Canada: Canadian Soc. Petroleum Geologists, Calgary, Alberta, p. 1–21.Google Scholar
- SCHMIDT, V., D.A. MCDONALD, and I.A. MCILREATH, 1980, Growth and diagenesis of Middle Devonian Keg River cementation reefs, Rainbow Field, Alberta: in Halley, R.B. and R.G. Loucks, eds., Carbonate Reservoir Rocks: notes for SEPM Core Workshop No. 1, Denver, Colorado, June 1980: Soc. Econ. Paleontologists and Mineralogists, p. 43–63.Google Scholar