The raf Oncogene
v-raf is the oncogene of 3611 MSV and was isolated from mouse cells by transduction with murine leukemia virus (MuLV). v-raf is a new member of the src family of oncogenes and has associated ser/thr specific protein kinase activity. The active cellular homolog, c-raf-1, maps on chromosome 6 in the mouse and on chromosome 3p25 in man. There is a second gene in man, c-raf-2, which is an inactive pseudogene. the v-raf as well as the c-raf coded proteins are located predominantly in the cytoplasm. The active human gene, c-raf-1, has a complex structure with 15 exons, 9 of which are homologous to v-raf. An avian carcinoma virus, MH2, transduces the avian homologue of v-raf, v-mil, in addition to a second oncogene, v-myc. v-mil shares sequences with 11 exons of c-raf-1. A 3’ portion of c-raf-1 containing six of the seven amino acid differences relative to v-raf can substitute for 3’ portion of v-raf in a transformation assay. Sequence homologies between c-raf-1 and Moloney leukemia virus at both ends of v-raf indicate that the viral gene was acquired by homologous recombination, probably at the DNA level.
KeywordsLymphoma Codon Tyrosine Recombination Adenosine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Rapp, U.R., Reynolds, F.H., Jr., Stephenson, J.R. (1984) in gene Transfer and Cancer, eds. Pearson, M.L. & Sternberg, N.L. (Raven press, New York, pp. 169–177.Google Scholar
- 9.Schultz, A.M., Copeland, T.D., Oroszlan, S., Mark, G. & Rapp, U.R., Virology, submitted.Google Scholar
- 11.Moelling, K., Heimann, B., Beimling, P., Rapp, U.R. & Sander, T. Nature, submitted.Google Scholar
- 12.Bonner, T.I., Kerby, S., Sutrave, P., Gunnell, M., Mark, G. & Rapp, U.R. Nature, submitted.Google Scholar
- 13.Mueller, R. & Mueller, D. (1984) EMBO J. 3:1121–1127.Google Scholar
- 17.Ihle, J.N. (1984) in Contemporary Topics in Molecular Immunology, in press.Google Scholar
- 25.Cole, J., Righi, M. de Taisne, C., Dissous, C., Gegonne, G. & Stehelin D. (1983) EMBO J. 2:2189–2194.Google Scholar
- 27.Bister, K. et al. (1984) UCLA Symp. Molec. Cell. Biol., in press.Google Scholar
- 30.Sutrave, P., Jansen, H.W., Bister, K. & Rapp, U.R. (1984) J. Virol, in press.Google Scholar
- 33.Rapp, U.R., Bonner, T.I., Moelling, K., Jansen, H.W., Bister, K. & Ihle, J.N. in Recent Results in Cancer Research, eds. Havemann, K., Sorenson, G. & Gropp, C. in press.Google Scholar