Pure and Applied Mathematics From an Industrial Perspective
The ostensible purpose of this talk is to comment on the difference between pure and applied mathematics from the point of view of a mathematician in a high-technology, diverse, industry. A second purpose, however, must also be admitted, and that purpose is nostalgic. I shall reminisce about mathematical life in the Bell Laboratories before the divestiture of the Bell System. It was exciting and enjoyable, and the excitement and joy will probably come through in this writing. Let no one draw the conclusion that life is less exciting and less enjoyable in any of the successor companies after January, 1984; I have simply recorded, and pondered the implications of, mathematics in a structure which has, like many structures, undergone some changes.
KeywordsBell Laboratory Hydrocarbon Emission Commercial Paper Twisted Pair Prolate Spheroidal Wave Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. McKenna, D. Mitra and K. G. Ramakrishnan, “A class of closed Markovian queuing networks: integral representations, asymptotic expansions, generalizations,” Bell Sys. Tech. J., 60 (May-June 1981 ).Google Scholar
- A Cohen, J. M. Schilling and I. J. Terpenning, “Dealer issued commercial paper: analysis of data,” Proceedings of the Business and Economic Statistics Section, American Statistical Association, 1979, 162–164.Google Scholar
- H. O. Pollak and H. J. Landau, “Prolate spheroidal wave functions, Fourier analysis and uncertainty, II,” Bell Sys. Tech. J. (January 1961).Google Scholar
- J. H. Conway and N. J. A. Sloane, “Fast quantizing and decoding algorithms for lattice quantizers and codes,” IEEE Trans, on Information Theory, IT-28 (1982), 227–232.Google Scholar
- E. B. Fowlkes, J. D. Gabbe and J. E. McRae, “A graphical technique for making a two-dimensional display of multidimensional clusters,” Proceedings of the Business and Economics Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association, 1976.Google Scholar
- Y. Vardi, “Absenteeism of operators: a statistical study with managerial applications,” Bell Sys. Tech. J., 60 (1981), 13–38.Google Scholar
- S. Lin, “Effective use of heuristic algorithm in network design,” in The Mathematics of Networks, AMS Short Course Publication Series, 1982.Google Scholar
- J. McKenna and N. L. Schryer, “On the accuracy of the depletion layer approximation for charge-coupled devices,” Bell Sys. Tech. J., 51 (1972), 1471–1485.Google Scholar
- J. McKenna and N. L. Schryer, “The potential in a charge-coupled device with no mobile minority carriers,” Bell Sys. Tech. J., 52 (December 1973), 1765–1793.Google Scholar