Survey of Abortion Providers in Seoul, Korea
Prior to 1973 legal abortion in the Republic of Korea was limited by law and judicial decisions to narrow medical indications. However, the law was not enforced, and abortion could easily be obtained from physicians who performed the procedure in their own private clinics. Because of lack of enforcement, large segments of the general public were unaware of the legal status of abortion. In a survey of the general population conducted in 1971, for example, three of five respondents in Seoul did not know that abortion was, in general, illegal; this figure applies to respondents who reported having had an abortion as well as those who had not.1 In 1973, legislation was adopted authorizing termination of pregnancy on medical, eugenic, and juridical indications.2 Whether this legislation has had any effect on actual practice is not known.
KeywordsProstaglandin Resi Univer Romania
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hong SB, Watson WB. The Increasing Utilization of Induced Abortion in Korea. Seoul: Korea University Press, 1976, p. 22.Google Scholar
- 2.World Health Organization. Republic of Korea: maternal and child health, family planning, abortion, and sterilization. International Digest of Health Legislation 1973;24(2):898–903.Google Scholar
- 3.Hong SB, Watson WB. The Increasing Utilization of Induced Abortion in Korea. Seoul: Korea University Press, 1976, pp. 61, 63, 163.Google Scholar
- 4.Hong SB. Studies on providers of induced abortion in Seoul, Korea. Korean J Obstet Gynecol 1978; 21(11):849–867.Google Scholar
- 5.Tietze C. Induced Abortion 1979, Edition 3. New York: The Population Council, 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.Muramatsu M. An analysis of factors in fertility control in Japan: an updated and revised version. Bull Inst Public Health 1973;22(4):228–236.Google Scholar
- 8.U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Census. World Population: 1977. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1978.Google Scholar
- 9.Korean Administration of Labor Affairs. Report on Monthly Labor Survey for the Period of April-June 1978. Seoul: Korean Administration of Labor Affairs, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Unpublished statistics on family planning services provided under Seoul City subsidy in 1978. Seoul City, Section of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, 1979.Google Scholar