Convex Combinations of Hurwitz Functions and Its Applications to Robustness Analysis
In this paper, we shall show that a family of analytic functions, constructed from the convex hull of a finite number of vertex functions, will have no zero within a simply-connected region in the complex plane if and only if all its edge functions have no zero within the simply-connected region. The result is in fact a generalization of the Edge Theorem which has been derived for polynomial functions [1,2,3]. We then proceed to show how the result can be used to analyse the stability of uncertain systems.
KeywordsHull Stein Doyle Fami
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A.C. Bartlett, C.V. Hollot and H. Lin, “Root Locations of an Entire Polytope of Polynomials: It Suffices to Check the Edges,” in Proc. Amer. Contr. Conf., Minneapolis, MN, 1987. Also in Mathematics of Control, Signals, and Systems, 1 (1988), 61–71.Google Scholar
- M. Fu and B.R. Barmish, “Polytopes of Polynomials with Zeros in a Prescribed Region,” submitted to IEEE Trans. Auto. Contr. for publication, (1988).Google Scholar
- V.L. Kharitonov, “Asymptotic Stability of an Equilibrium Position of a Family of Systems of Linear Differential Equations,” Differential’nye Urauneniya, 14, No. 11 (1978), 1483–1485.Google Scholar
- N.K. Bose, “A System-Theoretic Approach to Stability of Sets of Polynomials,” Contemp. Math., 47 (1985), 25–34.Google Scholar
- C.B. Soh and Y.C. Soh, “On the Existence of Kharitonov-Like Theorems,” Technical Report, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, NTI, Singapore 2263, (1988).Google Scholar
- I.R. Petersen, “A Class of Stability Regions for which a Kharitonov-Like Theorem Holds,” Proc. of IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, Los Angeles, (1987).Google Scholar
- N.K. Bose and E. Zeheb, “Kharitonov’s Theorem and a Stability Test of Multidimensional Digital Filters,” IEE Proc., 133, Pt. 6 (1986), 187–190.Google Scholar
- J. C. Doyle, “Analysis of Feed-back Systems with Structured Uncertainties,” IEE Proc., Pt. D, 129 (1982), 242–250.Google Scholar