Attributions, Accounts, and Close Relationships: Close Calls and Relational Resolutions
As Adele sat in the fading light, I was again struck by how elegant she appeared in her long brocade caftan. Few women of any age, much less 93, could claim such social presence as she. As she patiently ended her answer to my previous question, I glanced at my questionnaire, gritted my teeth and plunged ahead with the interview schedule. “Have you ever thought of marrying again?” She laughed, her light, tinkling, Tiffany laugh, and then paused thoughtfully for a moment before responding. “No, Mary, I really haven’t. There hasn’t been a man since Maurice died that I would want to marry.” I scribbled a few notes on the interview sheet, and quickly checked the voluntary-internal (VI) column in the attribution list. The interview continued.
KeywordsSocial Presence Constructionist Perspective Individual Mind Close Call Relational Resolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antaki, C. (Ed.). (1988). Analysing everyday explanations: A casebook of methods. London: Metheun.Google Scholar
- Baumeister, R.F. & Wotman, S.R. (1990). Autobiographical accounts of unrequited love. Manuscript in preparation. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH.Google Scholar
- Gergen, K.J., & Gergen, M.M. (1986). Narrative form and the construction of psychological science. In T.R. Sarbin (Ed.), Narrative psychology: The storied nature of human conduct (pp. 22–44). New York: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Goffman, E. (1971). Relations in public. Harmondsworth, England: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Kelley, H.H. (1967). Attribution theory in social psychology. In D. Levine (Ed.), Nebraska Symposium on motivation. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.Google Scholar
- Schank, R.C, & Abelson, R.P. (1977). Scripts, plans, goals and understanding. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Srivastva, S., Cooperrider, D.L., & Associates. (1990). Appreciative management and leadership. The power of positive thought and action in organizations San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar