Rational Interpolation for Rare Event Probabilities
We propose to use rational interpolants to tackle some computationally complex performance analysis problems such as rare-event probabilities in stochastic networks. Our main example is the computation of the cell loss probabilities in ATM multiplexers. The basic idea is to use the values of the performance function when the system size is small, together with the asymptotic behaviour when the size is very large, to obtain a rational interpolant which can be used for medium or large systems. This approach involves the asymptotic analysis of the rare-event probability as a function of the system size, the convergence analysis of rational interpolants on the positive real line, and the quasi-Monte Carlo analysis of discrete event simulation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker, G.A., and Graves-Morris, P., Padé Approximants, Part I: Basic Theory, Addison-Wesley, 1981.Google Scholar
- Baker, G. A. and Graves-Morris, P., Padé Approximants, Part II: Extensions and Applications, Addison-Wesley, 1981.Google Scholar
- Chang, C.S., Heidelberger, P., Juneja, S., and Shahabuddin, P. Effective Bandwidth and Fast Simulation of ATM Intree Networks, IBM Research Report RC 18586, 1992. (also in Proc. Performance ’93, Rome, Italy, October 1993.)Google Scholar
- Hlawka, E., Discrepancy and Riemann Integration, Studies in Pure Mathematics, Edited by Mirsky, L., Academic Press, 1971.Google Scholar
- Liu, Z., Nain, P., and Towsley, D., Exponential Bounds for a Class of Stochastic Processes with Application to Call Admission to Networks, Proc. 33rd Conference on Decision and Control, 156–161, 1994.Google Scholar
- Jviarkushevich, A.I., Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable: Vol 1, Prentice-Hall, 1965.Google Scholar
- Stahl, H., General Convergence Results for Rational Approximants, Approximation Theory VI, Edited by Chui, C.K., Schumaker, L.L. and Ward, J.D., Academic Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- Wallin, H., Potential Theory and Approximation of Analytic Functions by Rational Interpolation, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Edited by Dold, A. and Eckmann, B., No. 747, Springer-Varlag, 1978.Google Scholar
- Wolff, R.W., Stochastic Modeling and the Theory of Queues, Prentice-Hall, 1988.Google Scholar
- Yang, H., Gong, W.B. and Towsley, D.E. Efficient Algorithm for Cell Loss Probabilities in ATM multiplexers, Proceedings of GLOBE-COM’95, November, 1995.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Y. and Li, H. The MacLaurin Expansion for a G/G/1 Queue with Markov-Modulated Arrivals and Services, QUESTA, pp. 125–134, 1993Google Scholar