Safety Procedures for Nd:YAG Laser Surgery
Understanding the specifics of laser safety is absolutely essential to the medical community. In the past there has been uncertainty over the regulations that apply in laser surgery. This can create unnecessary concerns, particularly at the time the first laser is acquired. Therefore, it is the goal of this chapter to provide a review of the various hazards associated with the surgical use of lasers and an understanding of the applicable standards, with suggestions for several specific safety procedures that can be applied when using the Nd:YAG laser in a surgical setting.
KeywordsWelding amiD Retina Assure Sapphire
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American National Standard for the Safe Use of Lasers. ANSI Z-136.1 (1986). Laser Institute of America, Toledo, OH, 1986.Google Scholar
- Comment: It could happen to you. Laser Focus p 10, Apr 1982.Google Scholar
- Goldman L, Rockwell R Jr: Lasers in Medicine. Gordon & Breach, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- Laser Safety Guide, 6th ed. The Laser Institute of America, Toledo, OH, 1986.Google Scholar
- Performance Standard for Laser Products. Center for Devices and Radiological Health, Food and Drug Administration (DHHS), CFR 50 (161):33682-33702 Tuesday, Aug 20, 1985.Google Scholar
- Rockwell RJ Jr: Ensuring safety in laser robotics. Lasers Applications 3 (11): 65–70, Nov 1984.Google Scholar
- Rockwell RJ Jr (ed): Laser Safety in Surgery and Medicine, 2nd ed. Rockwell Associates, Cincinnati, OH, 1985.Google Scholar
- Rockwell RJ Jr: Analyzing laser hazards. Lasers Applications 5 (5): 97–103, May 1986.Google Scholar
- Rockwell RJ Jr: Controlling laser hazards. Lasers Applications, 5 (9): 93–99, Sep 1986.Google Scholar
- Rockwell RJ Jr, Moss CE: Optical radiation hazards in laser welding processes. Part I: Neodymium-YAG Industrr Hyg Assoc 44 (8): 572–579, Aug 1983.Google Scholar
- Safety of Lasers and Other Optical Radiation Source. Rockwell Associates, Cincinnati, OH, 1986.Google Scholar
- Sliney DH, Wolbarsh ML: Safety Manual for Lasers and Other Optical Sources. Plenum, New York, 1978.Google Scholar