Adjuvant Treatment of Gastric Cancer
The incidence of gastric cancer has declined over the last 50 years in the western world, especially in the United States. The decline has been very steep—from 30 in 100,000 to 8 in 100,000—and for the most part has occurred in older people and in the white population. Gastric cancer now ranks as the sixth most common cause of death from cancer. In Western Europe the incidence is still around 20 in 100,000, while a higher incidence is found in Japan, South America (especially Chile), Eastern Europe, Spain, and Portugal. The downward trend, however, has been generally uniform, and even in Japan the incidence appears to be declining.
KeywordsGastric Carcinoma Median Survival Time Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Advanced Gastric Cancer South West Oncology Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Schlag P, Schreml W, Gaus W. et al: Adjuvant 5-fluorouracil and BCNU chemotherapy in gastric cancer: 3-year results, in Recent Results in Cancer Research. BerlinHeidelberg-New York, Springer, 1982, p 277.Google Scholar
- 8.Bitran JD, Desser RK, Kozloff MF, et al: Treatment of metastatic pancreatic and gastric adenocarcinoma with 5-fluorouracil, Adriamycin and mitomycin C (FAM). Cancer Treatm Rep 1979; 63: 2049.Google Scholar
- 9.Gagliano R, McCracken JD, Chen T: Adjuvant chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil, Adriamycin and mitomycin (FAM) in gastric cancer—A SWOG study, abstract. Proc ASCO 1983; 2: 114.Google Scholar
- 10.Coombes RC, Schein PS, Chilvers C, et al: A controlled trial of FAM (5-FU, Adriamycin, mitomycin-C) chemotherapy as adjuvant treatment for resected gastric carcinoma, abstract. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 1986; 18 (suppl 1): 20.Google Scholar
- 12.Cullinan SA, Moertel CG, Fleming TR, et al: A comparison of three chemotherapeutic regimens in the treatment of advanced pancreatic and gastric carcinoma. Fluorouracil vs fluorouracil and doxorubicin vs fluorouracil, doxorubicin and mitomycin. JAMA 1985; 253: 2061.Google Scholar
- 13.De Lisi V, Cocconi G, Tonato M, et al: Randomized comparison of 5-FU alone or combined with carmustine, doxorubicin and mitomycin (BAFMi) in the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. A phase III trial of the Italian Clinical Research Oncology Group (GOIRC). Cancer Treatm Rep 1986; 70: 481.Google Scholar
- 15.Preusser P, Wilke H, Achterrath W, et al: Advanced gastric carcinoma. A phase II study with etoposide (E), adriamycin (A) and split course cisplatin (P) = EAP, abstract. Proc ASCO 1987; 6: 75.Google Scholar
- 16.Klein HO, Dias Wickramanayake P, Farrokh G-H: 5-Fluorouracil (5-FU), adriamycin (ADM) and methotrexate (MTX)—a combination protocol (FAMTX) for treatment of metastasized stomach cancer, abstract. Proc ASCO 1986; 5: 84.Google Scholar
- 18.Killen JY, Ellenberg SS, Friedman MA: Combination chemotherapy (CT) regimens in advanced gastric cancer (GC), abstract. Proc ASCO 1985; 4: 82.Google Scholar