Multicenter Validation Study of Real Time (B Mode) Ultrasound, Arteriography, and Pathology: IV. Comparison of B Mode Ultrasonic Imaging with Arteriography in Lower Extremity Arteries
In 1980, the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) issued a proposal for the assessment of ultrasonic B-scan imaging for detection and quantification of atherosclerotic lesions in human carotid and iliofemoral arteries (1). [In response to this, contracts were issued in 1981 to five clinical centers, one animal center, and a data coordinating center (2). The project consisted of several phases extending over three years.] Although the original NHLBI contract was to be equally dividen between the carotid and iliofemoral systems, the six-month pilot phase demonstrated that the major emphasis would be in the carotid system. Several reasons for this were present.
KeywordsIschemia Luminal Neurol Verse Sten
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH (April 1980) Assessment of Ultrasonic B-scan Imaging for Detection and Quantification of Atherosclerotic Lesions in Human Carotid and Iliofemoral Arteries and in Arteries of Animals: Request for Proposal RFP NHLBI 8–10.Google Scholar
- 2.Calderon-Ortiz M, Rifkin M, O’Leary D, Toole J, et al. (1989) Multicenter validation study of real time (B-mode) ultrasound, arteriography and pathology: I. Methods and materials, in this volume, Chapter 51.Google Scholar
- 6.O’Leary D, Rao A, Raines J, Goldberg B, Gramiak R, Ball M, et al. (1989) Multicenter validation study of real time (B-mode) ultrasound: II. Repeatability/variability assessment, in this volume, Chapter 52.Google Scholar
- 7.Ricotta J, Bond MG, Bryan F, McKinney W, Kurtz A, O’Leary D, et al. (1989) Multicenter validation study of real time (B-mode) ultrasound: III. Sensitivity/sensitivity assessment, in this volume, Chapter 53.Google Scholar
- 12.James EM, Ernest F, Forbes GS, et al. (1982) High resolution dynamic real time imaging of the carotid bifurcation: A prospective evaluation. Radiol 144:853–858.Google Scholar
- 15.Wolverson MK, Heiber E, Sundaram M, Tantansirvionese S, Shield JB (1983) Carotid atherosclerosis: High resolution real time sonography correlated with angiography. Am J Radiol 140:355–361.Google Scholar
- 16.Zwiebel WJ, Austin CW, Sackett JF, Strother CM (1983) Correlation of high resolution B-mode and continuous-wave Doppler sonography with arteriography in the diagnosis of carotid stenosis. 149:523–532.Google Scholar
- 17.Schenk EA, Bond MG, Aretz TH, Angelo JN, Choi HY, Rynalski T, Gustafson NF, Berson AS, Ricotta JJ, Goodison MW, Bryan FA, Goldberg BB, Toole JF, O’Leary DH (1988) Multicenter validation study of real-time ultrasonography, arteriography, and pathology: Pathologic evaluation of carotid endartectomy specimen. Stroke 19:289–296.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar