Classification of Supernovae
The fundamental classification scheme for supernovae is based on their spectra. As we learn more, the scheme becomes more complex, and it may be that every supernova is unique in some aspect. There have certainly been a number of interesting surprises in the last few years for a field that is nearly 50 years old. In this chapter we give an updated summary of supernova spectral classifications, emphasizing recently introduced subtypes and the importance of late-time spectra. Other recent discussions of supernova classifications may be found in the chapter by Branch in this volume and by Filippenko (1989). Porter and Filippenko (1987) have summarized the observed properties of SN Ib events.
KeywordsLight Curve Radio Emission Ultraviolet Spectrum Maximum Light Photospheric Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Axelrod, T.A. 1980, in Type I Supernovae, ed. J.C. Wheeler (Austin: University of Texas), p. 80.Google Scholar
- Bertola, F. 1962, Asiago Contr., No. 128.Google Scholar
- Filippenko, A.V. 1989, Proceedings of the Astronomical Society of Australia, 7, 412.Google Scholar
- Harkness, R.P. 1986, in Radiation Hydrodynamics in Stars and Compact Objects, eds. D.H. Mihalas and K.-H. Winkler (Berlin: Springer-Verlag), p. 183.Google Scholar
- Harkness, R.P. 1987, in Relativistic Astrophysics, ed. M.P. Ulmer (Singapore: World Scientific), p. 413.Google Scholar
- Schmitz, M.F. and Gaskell, C.M. 1988, in Supernova 1987A in the Large Magellanic Cloud, eds. M. Kafatos and A. Michalitsianos (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), p. 112.Google Scholar
- Terndrup, D.M., Elias, J.H., Gregory, B., Heathcote, S.R., Phillips, M.M., Suntzeff, N.B., and Williams, R.E. 1989, Proceedings of the Astronomical Society of Australia, in press.Google Scholar
- Wheeler, J.C. and Harkness, R.P. 1986, in Galaxy Distances and Deviations from Universal Expansion, eds. B.F. Madore and R.B. Tully (Dordrecht: Reidel), p. 45.Google Scholar
- Wheeler, J.C., Harkness, R.P., and Cappellaro, E. 1987, in Relativistic Astrophysics, ed. M.P. Ulmer (Singapore: World Scientific), p. 403.Google Scholar
- Woosley, S.E., Axelrod T.S., and Weaver T.A. 1984, in Stellar Nucleosynthesis, eds. C. Chiosi and A. Renzini (Dordrecht: Reidel), p. 263.Google Scholar