Feedback Equivalence to Passive Nonlinear Systems
In this paper, we derive conditions under which a nonlinear system can be rendered passive via smooth state feedback and we show that, as in the case of linear systems, this is possible if and only if the system in question has relative degree 1 and is weakly minimum phase. As an application of this analysis, we derive a stabilization result which incorporates and extends a number of stabilization schemes recently proposed in the literature for global asymptotic stabilization of certain classes of nonlinear systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C.I. Byrnes, A. Isidori and J.C. Willems, Passivity, feedback equivalence and the global stabilization of minimum phase nonlinear systems, submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- C.I. Byrnes and A. Isidori, Asymptotic stabilization of minimum phase nonlinear systems, to appear in IEEE Trans Ant Contr.Google Scholar
- C.A. Desoer and M. Vidyasagar, Feedback Systems: Input-Output Properties, Academic Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- J.P. Gauthier and G. Bornard, Stabilisation des systemes nonlineaires, Outils et methodes mathematiques pour l’automatique… (I.D. Landau, ed.), C.N.R.S. (1981), pp. 307–324.Google Scholar
- W. Hahn, Stability of Motion, Springer Verlag (1967).Google Scholar
- D. Hill, Dissipativeness, stability theory and some remaining problems, Analysis and Control of Nonlinear Systems (C.I. Byrnes, C.F. Martin and R.E. Saeks eds.), North-Holland (1988), pp.443–452.Google Scholar
- A. Isidori, Nonlinear Control Systems, 2nd ed., Springer Verlag (1989).Google Scholar
- I.W. Sandberg, On the L2 boundedness of solutions of nonlinear functional equations, Bell System Tech. J. 43 (1964), pp. 99–104.Google Scholar
- I.W. Sandberg, On the stability of interconnected systems, Bell System Tech. J. 57 (1978), pp. 3031–3046.Google Scholar
- A. Saberi, P.V. Kokotovic, H.J. Sussmann, Global stabilization of partially linear composite systems, 28th IEEE Conf. Dec. Contr. (1989), pp. 1385–1391.Google Scholar