Throughout this book, three questions have framed the inquiry and discussion about knowledge and knowing in the study of writing and revision:
What constitutes knowledge?
Where is knowledge located?
How does one get or create knowledge?
KeywordsMold Beach Posit Abate Cali
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruner, J. (1986). Actual minds, possible worlds. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Burnham, C.C. (1984). Research methods in composition. In M.G. Moran & R.F. Lunsford (Eds.), Research in composition and rhetoric: A bibliographic sourcebook (pp. 191–210 ). Westport, CT: Greenwood.Google Scholar
- Coleman, J.S., Campbell, E.Q., Hobson, C.J., McPartland, J., Mood, A.M., Weinfeld, F.D., & York, R.L. (1966). Equality of educational opportunity. U. S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Washington, DC: Office of Education.Google Scholar
- Fitzgerald, J. (1989). Enhancing two related thought process: Revision in writing and critical reading. The Reading Teacher, 43, 42–48.Google Scholar
- Freedman, S.W., Dyson, A.H., Flower, L., & Chase, W. (1987). Research in writing: Past, present, and future. Technical Report No. 1. Center for the Study of Writing. Berkeley, California and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: University of California and Carnegie Mellon University.Google Scholar
- Gage, N.L. (1989). The paradigm wars and their aftermath: A “historical” sketch of research on teaching since 1989. Educational Researcher, 18, 4–10.Google Scholar
- Geertz, C. (1979). From the native’s point of view: On the nature of anthropological understanding. In P. Rabinow & W. Sullivan (Eds.), Interpretive social science (pp. 225–242 ). Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Green, J.L. (in press). Multiple perspectives: Issues and directions. In R. Beach, J. Green, M. Kamil, & T. Shanahan (Eds.), Multidisciplinary perspectives on literacy research. Urbana, IL: National Conference on English.Google Scholar
- Harste, J.C. (in press). Preface. In R. Beach, J. Green, M. Kamil, & T. Shanahan (Eds.), Multidisciplinary Perspectives on literacy research. Urbana, IL: National Conference on English.Google Scholar
- Heap, J.L. (in press). Ethnomethodology and possibility of a metaperspective on literacy research. In R. Beach, J. Green, M. Kamil, & T. Shanahan (Eds.), Multidisciplinary Perspectives on literacy research. Urbana, IL: National Conference on English.Google Scholar
- Herrington, A.J. (1989). The first twenty years of Research in the Teaching of English and the growth of a research community in composition studies. Research in the Teaching of English, 23, 117–138.Google Scholar
- Hillocks, Jr., G. (in press). Reconciling the qualitative and quantitative. In R. Beach, J. Green, M. Kamil, & T. Shanahan (Eds.), Multidisciplinary Perspectives on literacy research. Urbana, IL: National Conference on English.Google Scholar
- Howe, K.R. (1988). Against the quantitative-qualitative incompatibility thesis or dogmas die hard. Educational Researcher, 77(8), 10–16.Google Scholar
- Luecke, D., & McGinn, N. (1975). Regression analyses and education production functions: Can they be trusted? Harvard Educational Review, 45, 325–350.Google Scholar
- Phillips, D.C. (1987). Philosophy, science, and social inquiry. New York: Pergamon.Google Scholar
- Smith, J.K. (1983a). Quantitative versus qualitative research: An attempt to clarify the issue. Educational Researcher, 12(3), 6–13.Google Scholar
- Smith, J.K. (1983b). Quantitative versus interpretive: The problem of conducting social inquiry. In E. House (Ed.), Philosophy of evaluation (pp. 27–52 ). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Smith, J.K., & Heshusius, L. (1986). Closing down the conversation: The end of the quantitative-qualitative debate among educational researchers. Educational Researcher, 15(1), 4–12.Google Scholar
- Stayter, F.Z., & Johnston, P. (1990). Evaluating the teaching and learning of literacy. In T. Shanahan (Ed.), Reading and writing together: New perspectives for the classroom (pp. 253–271 ). Norwood, MA: Christopher-Gordon.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag New York, Inc. 1992