Modeling the Dissipation Rate in Rotating Turbulent Flows
A variety of modifications to the modeled dissipation rate transport equation that have been proposed during the past two decades to account for rotational strains are examined. The models are subjected to two crucial test cases: the decay of isotropic turbulence in a rotating frame and homogeneous shear flow in a rotating frame. It is demonstrated that these modifications do not yield substantially improved predictions for these two test cases and in many instances give rise to unphysical behavior. An alternative proposal, based on the use of the tensor dissipation rate, is made for the development of improved models.
KeywordsTurbulent Kinetic Energy Dissipation Rate Shear Flow Isotropic Turbulence Homogeneous Turbulence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Launder, B. E., 1990, Phenomenological Modeling: Present and Future, Lecture Notes in Physics (J. L. Lumley, ed., Springer- Verlag, New York) 357, pp. 439–485Google Scholar
- Bardina, J., 1988, Turbulence Modeling Based on Direct Simulation of the Navier-Stokes Equations, Proceedings of the 1st National Fluid Dynamics Congress, Paper No. 88–3747-CPGoogle Scholar
- Raj, R., Speziale, C. G., 1990, A Note on the Dissipation Equation in Rotating Turbulent Flows, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- Speziale, C. G., Mansour, N. N., Rogallo, R. S., 1987, The Decay of Isotropic Turbulence in a Rapidly Rotating Frame, Proceedings of the 1987 Summer Program of the Center for Turbulence Research (P. Moin, W. C. Reynolds, J. Kim, eds., Stanford University Press), pp. 205–211Google Scholar
- Wigeland, R. A., Nagib, H. M., 1978, Grid-Generated Turbulence With and Without Rotation about the Streamwise Direction, IIT Fluids and Heat Transfer Report R78-1, Illinois Institute of TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- Bardina, J., Ferziger, J. H., Reynolds, W. C., 1983, Improved Turbulence Models Based on Large-Eddy Simulation of Homogeneous, Incompressible Turbulent Flows, Stanford University Technical Report TF-19Google Scholar
- Speziale, C. G., 1990, Discussion of Turbulence Modeling: Present and Future, Lecture Notes in Physics (J. L. Lumley, ed., Springer-Verlag, New York) 357, pp. 490–512Google Scholar
- Speziale, C. G., Gatski, T. B., 1990, A Model for the Tensor Dissipation Rate of Turbulence, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- Speziale, C. G., Sarkar, S., Gatski, T. B., 1989, Modeling the Pressure-Strain Correlation of Turbulence — An Invariant Dynamical Systems Approach, J. Fluid Mech., in pressGoogle Scholar
- Durbin, P. A., Speziale, C. G., 1990, Local Anisotropy in Strained Turbulence at High Reynolds Numbers, ASME J. Fluids Eng., submitted for publicationGoogle Scholar