Viewpoint-Based Measurement of Semantic Similarity between Words
A method of measuring semantic similarity between words using a knowledge-base constructed automatically from machine-readable dictionaries is proposed. The method takes into consideration the fact that similarity changes depending on situation or context, which we call ‘viewpoint’. Evaluation shows the proposed method, although based on a simply structured knowledge-base, is superior to other currently available methods.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Suzuki92]Suzuki, H., Ohnishi, H., & Shigemasu, K. (1992). Goal-directed processes in similarity judgements. Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 327–352).Google Scholar
- [Babaguchi94]Babaguchi, N., Sawada, Y., & Ohkawa, T. (1994). Association mechanism based on viewpoints. Transactions of Information Processing Society of Japan, 35(5), pp.714–724.Google Scholar
- [Guha90]Guha, R. V., & Lenat, D. B. (1990) Cyc: A Midterm Report. AI Magazine, 11(3), 32–59.Google Scholar
- [EDR93]Japan Electronic Dictionary Research Institute, Ltd. (1993). EDR Electronic Dictionary Technical Guide, TR-042.Google Scholar
- [Ide93a]Ide, N., & Veronis, J. (1993). Extracting Knowledge Base from Machine-readable Dictionaries: Have we wasted our time? Proceedings of the First International Conference on Building and Sharing of Very Large-Scale Knowledge Bases (pp. 257–266).Google Scholar
- [Ide93b]Ide, N., & Veronis, J. (1993). Combining Dictionary-Based and Example-Based Methods for Natural Language Analysis. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Theoretical and Methodological Issues in Machine Translation (pp. 69–78).Google Scholar
- [Ikehara93]Ikehara, S., Ikehara, M., & Yokoo, A. (1993). Classification of language knowledge for meaning analysis in machine translations. Transactions of Information Processing Society of Japan, 34(8) 1692–1704.Google Scholar
- [Izuru9l]Shinmura, I.(Ed.) (1991). Koujien, Iwanami Shoten.Google Scholar
- [Matsumura92]Matsumura, A. (Ed.) (1992). Daijirin, Sanseido Co., Ltd.Google Scholar
- [Hamanishi90]Hamanishi, M., & Ono, S. (1990). Ruigo Kokugo Jiten, Kadokawa Shoten.Google Scholar
- [Kenbou92]Kenbou, H. (Ed.) (1992). Sanseidou Genndai Kokugo Jiten, Sanseido Co., Ltd.Google Scholar
- [Takabe77]Takebe, T. (Ed.) (1977) Hikkei Ruigo Jitsuyou Jiten, Sanseido Co., Ltd.Google Scholar
- [Sanseido92]Sanseido (Ed.) (1977) Hikkei Yougo Youji Jiten, Sanseido Co., Ltd.Google Scholar