Astronomical, Atmospheric, and Wavefront Studies with a Submillimeter-wavelength Interferometer
Over the course of the last half century, astrophysical investigations have expanded into ever wider sections of the electromagnetic spectrum. One of the most difficult wavebands to access, both for atmospheric and technological reasons, is the submillimeter band, between wavelengths of roughly 1 mm and 100 fim. Home to a large set of molecular rotational transitions [1,2], these wavelengths mark the boundary between radio and infrared waves, and in terms of the atmosphere, coincide with the transition between the high-transparency radio ‘windows’ and the opaque far-infrared sky (Fig. 55.1).
KeywordsBrightness Temperature Rotational Transition Atmospheric Transmission Fourier Transform Spectrometer Water Vapor Column
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. G. Phillips, in Astronomy with Millimeter and Submillimeter Wave Interferometry, eds. M. Ishiguro and W. J. Welch (ASP, San Francisco, 1994 ), p. 68.Google Scholar
- W. D. Duncan, E. I. Robson, P. A. R. Ade, M. J. Griffin, and G. Sandell, MNRAS 243, 126(1990).Google Scholar
- W. K. Gear and C. R. Cunningham, in Multi-feed Systems for Radio Telescopes, edited by D.T. Emerson and J.M. Payne ( ASP, San Francisco, 1995 ), p. 215.Google Scholar
- J. W. V. Storey, Infrared Phys. 25, 583 (1985).Google Scholar
- H. W. Schnopper and R. I. Thompson, in Meth. Exp. Phys. 12A: Astrophysics, edited by N. Carleton ( Academic, New York, 1974 ), p. 491.Google Scholar
- C. M. Walmsley and R. Giisten, in The Structure and Content of Molecular Clouds, editor T.L. Wilson ( Springer, Berlin, 1994 ).Google Scholar
- T. D. Groesbeck, Ph. D. Dissertation (California Institute of Technology, 1994 ).Google Scholar
- A. Marten, D. Gautier, T. Owen, D. B. Sanders, H. E. Matthews, S. K. Atreya, R. P. J. Tilanus, and J. R. Deane, ApJ 406,285.Google Scholar
- E. Weisstein and E. Serabyn, in preparation.Google Scholar
- J. W. Waters, in Meth. Exp. Phys. 12B: Astrophysics, edited by M. L. Meeks ( Academic, New York, 1976 ), p. 142.Google Scholar
- E. Grossman, AT user’s manual (Airhead Software, Boulder, 1989 ).Google Scholar