Infrared Semiconductor Laser by Means of J x H Force Excitation of Electrons and Holes
In the earlier stage of the investigation of lasing action in solids, especially in semiconductors, the possibility of utilizing Landau levels was proposed by several investigators [1,2]. While these attempts were not successful, the first achievements of a ruby laser was reported by Maiman in 1960 . In semiconductors, after the subsequent developments of injection-type semiconductor lasers , the research shifted to the lasing action by use of the quantum size effect in low-dimensional materials, such as quantum wires [5,6] and dots : The principle is based on utilizing the singularity in the density of states of electrons associated with quantization, which produces discrete energy states due to the finite-size effect.
KeywordsRecombination Hull Stim Ruby
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Lax and K. J. Button, Physics of Solids in Intense Magnetic Fields, E.D. Haidemenakis (ed.), p. 145 ( Plenum, New York, 1969 ).Google Scholar
- A. Yariv, Introduction to Optical Electronics, Chap. 15 ( Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1985 ).Google Scholar
- C. Weisbuck, Proc. of 22nd International Conference on Physics of Semiconductors, E. J. Lockwood (ed.), (World Scientific, Singapore, 1955); W. Wegscheider, L. N. Pfeiffer, M. M. Dignam, A. Pinczuk, K. W. West, S. L. McCall, and R. Hull, Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 4071 (1994).Google Scholar
- R. Cingolani, Proc. of 22nd International Conference on Physics of Semiconductors, E. J. Lockwood (ed.), ( World Scientific, Singapore, 1955 ).Google Scholar
- F. Capasso, Semiconductors and Semimetals 22, Part D, 1, R. K. Willardson and A. C. Beer (eds.) (Academic Press, New York, 1985 ).Google Scholar
- T. Morimoto and M. Chiba, Phys. Lett. A 85, 395 (1981); A 95, 343 (1983).Google Scholar
- T. Morimoto and M. Chiba, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 23, L821 (1984); V. K. Malyutenko, S. S. Bolgov, and E. I. Yablonovsky, Infrared Phys. 25, 115 (1985).Google Scholar
- T. Morimoto, M. Chiba, S. Ueda, G. Kido, and T. Hamamoto, Proc. of 11th International Conference on High Magnetic Fields in Semiconductor Physics, D. Heiman (ed.), ( World Scientific, Singapore, 1995 ).Google Scholar