Oral Contraceptives and the Risk of Breast and Cervical Cancer
In this Symposium, we have already heard about epidemiological studies on oral contraception and breast cancer, and about biological studies on steroids and mammary carcinogenesis. I shall try to draw together the biological and epidemiological data on breast and cervical cancer. But today’s workshop concentrates on issues of relevance to the practicing clinician, and I want to begin by putting our discussions into a broader perspective.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Cervical Cancer Endometrial Cancer Oral Contraceptive Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Lettenmaier C, Liskin L, Church CA, Harris JA (1988) Mothers’ lives matter: maternal health in the community. Population Reports, Series L, No 7.Google Scholar
- 9.Drife JO (1989) The benefits of combined oral contraceptives. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 96:1225–1228.Google Scholar
- 10.Henderson IC (1993) Risk factors for breast cancer development.Cancer 71:2127–2140.Google Scholar
- 11.Drife JO (1993) The benefits and risks of oral contraceptives. New York: Parthenon Publishing.Google Scholar
- 13.Thorogood M, Vessey MP (1990) Trends in use of oral contraceptives in Britain. Brit J Fam Plan 16:41–53.Google Scholar
- 18.Morris D (1977) The naked ape. St Albans: Mayflower.Google Scholar
- 23.Milligan D, Drife JO, Short RV (1975) Changes in breast volume during normal menstrual cycle and after oral contraceptives. Brit Med J iv:494–496.Google Scholar
- 27.Schlesselman JJ (1990) Oral contraceptives and breast cancer. Amer J Obstet Gynecol 163:1279–1287.Google Scholar
- 30.Drife J (1981) The effects of parity and the menstrual cycle on the normal mammary gland and their possible relationship to malignant change. MD Thesis, University of Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- 34.Herbst AL, Berek JS (1993) Impact of contraception on gynecologic cancers. Amer J Obstet Gynecol 168:1980–1985.Google Scholar
- 37.Gram IT, Macaluso M, Stalsberg H (1992) Oral contraceptive use and the incidence of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Amer J Obstet Gynecol 167:40–44.Google Scholar
- 38.Turnquest MA (1993) Oral contraceptive use and incidence of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Amer J Obstet Gynecol 168:1895.Google Scholar