The earliest operations on the mitral valve, by Souttar, Cutler, Bailey, and others, were bold surgical feats. Since this pioneering surgery, great advances have been made. The early closed operations have been replaced by open procedures with full visualization of the valve, allowing precise repair or replacement.
KeywordsCatheter Depression Ischemia Syringe Fibril
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akins CW, Kirklin JK, Block PC, Buckley MJ, Austen MG: Preoperative evaluation of subvalvular fibrosis in mitral stenosis: a predictive factor in conservative vs replacement surgical therapy. Circulation 60 (Suppl I): 171, 1979.Google Scholar
- Cutler EC, Beck CS: The present status of surgical procedures in chronic valvular disease of the heart. Arch Surg 18: 403, 1929.Google Scholar
- David TE, Ho WC: The effect of preservation of chordae tendineae on mitral valve replacement for postinfarction mitral regurgitation. Circulation 74 (Suppl I): 1–116, 1986.Google Scholar
- David TE, Uden DE, Strauss HD: The importance of the mitral apparatus in left ventricular function after correction of mitral regurgitation. Circulation 68 (Suppl II): 11–76, 1983.Google Scholar
- Grunkemeier GL, Starr A, Rahimtoola S: Prosthetic heart valve performance: long-term follow-up. Curr Probl Cardiol 17: 333, 1992.Google Scholar
- Lillihei CW, Levy MJ, Bonnabeau RC Jr: Mitral valve replacement with preservation of papillary muscles and chordae tendineae. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 47: 532, 1964.Google Scholar
- McAlpine WA: Heart and Coronary Arteries. New York, Springer-Verlag, 1975.Google Scholar
- Okita Y, Miki S, Kusuhara K, Ueda Y, Tahata T, Yamanaka K, Higa T: Analysis of left ventricular motion after mitral valve replacement with a technique of preservation of all chordae tendineae: comparison with conventional mitral valve replacement or mitral valve repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 104: 786, 1992.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sarris GE, Cahill PD, Hansen DE, Derby GC, Miller DC: Restoration of left ventricular systolic performance after reattachment of the mitral chordae tendineae: the importance of valvular-ventricular interaction. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 95: 969, 1989.Google Scholar
- Tandler J: Anatomie des Herzens. Jena, G. Fischer, 1913.Google Scholar