Learning and Memory Formation of Arm Movements
Stiffness of the limbs decreases (Milner and Cloutier 1993), as evidenced by a decreased coactivation of the muscles and an increased compliance in response to a perturbation.
Movements become smoother (Hreljac 1993), as evidenced by a reduction in a cost function that scales with the jerkiness of the movement (second derivative of velocity).
Motion of the joints become decoupled (Vereijken et al. 1992), as evidenced by a reduction in the cross-correlation between patterns of joint rotations.
KeywordsInternal Model Motor Output Retrograde Amnesia Muscle Torque Hand Path
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brashers-Krug, T., Shadmehr, R., and Todorov, E. (1995). Catastrophic interference in human motor learning. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems. Tesauro, G., Touretzky, D.S., and Leen, T.K. (eds.), vol. 7, pp. 19–26. The MIT Press, Boston.Google Scholar
- Fuster, J.M. (1995). Memory in the Cerebral Cortex: An Empirical Approach to Neural Networks in the Human and Nonhuman Primates. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Lackner, J.R. and Dizio, P. (1994). Rapid adaptation to coriolis force perturbations of arm trajectory. J. Neurophys., 72:299–313.Google Scholar
- Lewis, D. and Miles, G. H. (1956). Retroactive interference in performance on the star discrimeter as a function of amount of interpolated learning. Percept. Mot. Skills, 6:295–298.Google Scholar
- Shadmehr, R. and Mussa-Ivaldi, F.A. (1994b). Computational elements of the adaptive controller of the human arm. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems. Cowan, J.D., Tesauro, G., and Alspector, J. (eds.), vol. 6, pp. 1077–1084. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Shadmehr, R., Brashers-Krug, T., and Mussa-Ivaldi, F.A. (1995). Interference in learning internal models of inverse dynamics in humans. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems. Tesauro, G., Touretzky, D.S., and Leen, T.K. (eds.), vol. 7, pp. 1117–1124. The MIT Press, Boston.Google Scholar
- Squire, L.R. (1987). Memory and Brain. Oxford University Press.Google Scholar