Counting Processes and Dynamic Modelling
I give some historical comments concerning the introduction of counting process theory into survival analysis. The concept of dynamic modelling of counting processes is discussed, focussing on the advantage of models that are not of proportional hazards type. The connection with a statistical definition of causality is pointed out. Finally, the concept of martingale residual processes is discussed briefly.
KeywordsCholesterol Covariance Assure Estima Contraceptive Device
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aalen, O.O. (1987), ‘Dynamic modelling and causality’, Scandinavian Actuarial Journal pp. 177–190.Google Scholar
- Brémaud, P. (1972), A martingale approach to point processes, PhD thesis, Electrical Research Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley.Google Scholar
- Dolivo, F. (1974), Counting processes and integrated conditional rates: a martingale approach with application to detection, PhD thesis, University of Michigan.Google Scholar
- Jewell, N. P. & Kalbfleisch, J. D. (1992), Marker models in survival analysis and applications to issues associated with AIDS, in N. Jewell, K. Dietz & V. Farewell, eds, ‘AIDS Epidemiology: Methodological Issues’, Birkhäuser, Boston.Google Scholar
- Manton, K. G. & Stallard, E. (1988), Chronic Disease Modelling, Griffin & Company, New York.Google Scholar
- Mykland, P. (1986), Statistical causality, Technical report, Department of Mathematics, University of Bergen, Norway.Google Scholar
- Self, S. & Pawitan, Y. (1992), Modeling a marker of disease progression and onset of disease, in N. Jewell, K. Dietz & V. Farewell, eds, ‘AIDS Epidemiology: Methodological Issues’, Birkhäuser, Boston.Google Scholar
- Tsiatis, A. A., Dafni, U., DeGruttola, V., Propert, K. J., Strawderman, R. L. & Wulfson, M. (1992), The relationship of CD4 counts over time to survival in patients with AIDS: Is CD4 a good surrogate marker?, in N. Jewell, K. Dietz & V. Farewell, eds, ‘AIDS Epidemiology: Methodological Issues’, Birkhäuser, Boston.Google Scholar
- Woodbury, M. A. & Manton, K. G. (1983), ‘A theoretical model of the physiological dynamics of circulatory disease in human populations’, Human Biology 55 417–441.Google Scholar