Traditionally, the etiology of premature ejaculation, a prevalent male dysfunction, was believed to be psychological and was treated therefore with a variety of behavioral or other psychotherapeutic techniques. Pharmacotherapy for treatment of premature ejaculation is presently in its infancy; however, it offers urologists an additional option for medical management of this distressing condition.
KeywordsErectile Dysfunction Sexual Dysfunction Premature Ejaculation Ejaculatory Latency Psychotherapeutic Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.Kaplan H. Overcoming Premature Ejaculation. New York: Bruner-Mazel; 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.Levine S. Sexual Life: A Clinicians Guide. New York: Plenum; 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.McCarthy B. Cognitive-behavioral strategies and techniques in the treatment of early ejaculation. In: Leiblum SR, Rosen R, eds. Principles and Practice of Sex Therapy: Update for the 90’s. New York: Guilford; 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.Masters W, Johnson V. Human Sexual Inadequacy. Boston: Little, Brown; 1970.Google Scholar
- 11.Bancroft J, Coles L. Three years experience in a sexual problems clinic. Br Med J 1976; 1: 1575 1577.Google Scholar
- 14.Goodman. RE. An assessment of clomipramine (Anafranil) in the treatment of premature ejaculation. J Intern Med Res 1980; 8 (suppl3): 53–59.Google Scholar
- 18.Althof S, Levine S, Corty E, et al. Clomipramine as a treatment for rapid ejaculation: a double-blind crossover trial of fifteen couples. J Clin Psychiatry (in press).Google Scholar
- 19.Althof S, Resnick K, Levine S, et al. Early experience with clomipramine for rapid ejaculation. Paper presented to the Annual Meeting of the American Urological Association, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1995.Google Scholar
- 22.Swartz D. Sertraline hydrochloride for premature ejaculation [abstract 471]. In: Programs and Abstracts of the 89th Annual Meeting of the American Urological Association, San Francisco, CA, 1994: 345A.Google Scholar