Effect of C:N Molar Ratio on Monomer Composition of Polyhydroxyalkanoates Produced by Pseudomonas mendocina 0806 and Pseudomonas pseudoalkaligenus YS1
Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) are biodegradable polymers produced by bacteria. In this study, the effect of C:N molar ratio on the monomer composition of PHAs was investigated, including medium chain length PHA produced by Pseudomonas mendocina 0806 and PHA blends consisting of monomers of 3-hydroxybutyrate and medium chain length hydroxy-alkanoate produced by Pseudomonas pseudoalkaligenus YS1. It was observed that there were some fixed ranges of C:N molar ratio that affect the monomer composition of PHA independently of the substrate. For strain 0806, the ranges were C:N & < 20, 20 < C:N < 200, and C:N > 200. The monomer composition was constant among these ranges when using glucose and octanoate as the sole substrate. For strain YS1, the ranges were C:N < 20, 20 < C:N < 45, and C:N > 45. These results are useful for controlling monomer composition in PHA production.
Index EntriesPolyhydroxyalkanoates polyhydroxybutyrate Pseudomonas mendocina Pseudomonas pseudoalkaligenus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, A. J. and Dawes, E. A. (1990), Microbiol. Rev. 54, 450–472.Google Scholar
- 6.Timm, A. and Steinbüchel, A. (1992), Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 56, 3360–3367.Google Scholar
- 10.Hong, K., Chen, G. Q., Tian, W. D., Huang, W. Y., and Fan, Q. S. (1998), Tsinghua J. Sci. Technol. 3, 1063–1069.Google Scholar
- 11.Hong, K., Tian, W. D., Chen, G. Q., Wu, Q., Zhang, R. Z., and Huang, W. Y. (1999), Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, Int. J. Microbiol Mol. Biol, in press.Google Scholar
- 15.Noda, I. (1996), US patent 5, 502, 116.Google Scholar
- 16.Lageveen, R. G., Huisman, G. W., Preusting, H., Ketelaar, P., Eggink, G., and Witholt, B. (1988), Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 54, 2924–2932.Google Scholar