Shifting Paradigms: Teaching and Learning in an Animated, Web-Connected World
A disclaimer as part of an introduction to a topic is perhaps slightly amusing. But thatés exactly what this introduction is: a disclaimer. Consider for a moment the dilemma of writing about anything. regarding the future of the World Wide Web, let alone the future of education in the context of the Web. On the one hand is the Web itself, a phenomenon that could scarcely have been predicted a mere decade ago, and one that evolves with blinding speed and in often unpredictable ways. On the other hand stretch all of the grand visions about how the Web can be used for teaching and learning, visions that can only be realized through painstaking software development and testing—a frustratingly slow process.
KeywordsEducational Software Java Virtual Machine Interactive Learning Environment Platform Independence Computer Science Education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baecker, R. and Sherman, D. (1981). Sorting out sorting. University of Toronto Computer Media Centre, 121 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A1.Google Scholar
- Balzer, R. (1969). “EXDAMS—Extendable debugging and monitoring system,” American Federation of Information Processing Societies (AFIPS) Conference Proceedings., 34: 567–80.Google Scholar
- Brown, M. (1994). “The SRC Algorithm Animation Festival,” Dec Systems Research Technical Report, September.Google Scholar
- Evans, T. and Darley, D. (1966). “Online debugging techniques: a survey,” American Federation of Information Processing Societies (AFIPS) Conference Proceedings., 29: 37–50.Google Scholar
- Ross, R. (1982). “Teaching programming to the deaf,” ACM SIGCAPH Newsletter., 30: 18–24.Google Scholar
- Ross, R. (1983). “Lople: A dynamic library of programming language examples,” ACM SIGCUE Bulletin., 17(4): 27–31.Google Scholar
- Stasko, J., Domingue, J., Brown, M., and Price, B. (editors) (1997). Software visualization: Programming as a Multimedia Experience. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press.Google Scholar