Purification and Cloning of Central Serotonin Receptors
Serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) is a neurotransmitter involved in the control of various physiological functions and brain disorders, and its effects are mediated through several classes of specific 5-HT receptors (Osborne and Hamon, 1988). Indeed the demonstration of the heterogeneity of 5-HT receptors was reported as far back as 1957 (Gaddum and Picarelli, 1957), and became more evident during the past five years. To date, the development of radioligand binding techniques has established that 5-HT receptors are divided into three main classes, designated 5-HT1, 5-HT2 and 5-HT3, with different pharmacological properties, regional distributions, and functions in the central nervous system (CNS) (Bradley et al., 1986; Tricklebank, 1985).
KeywordsSoluble Fraction Bovine Brain Binding Subunit Photoaffinity Label Solubilized Site
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bradley, P. B., Engel, G., Feniuk, W., Fozard, J. R., Humphrey, P. P. A., Middlemiss, D. N., Mylecharane, E. J., Richardson, B. P., and Saxena, P. R. (1986) Neuro-pharmacology 25, 563–576.Google Scholar
- Devivo, M. and Maayani, S. (1986) J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 238, 248–253.Google Scholar
- Dourish, C. T., Ahlenius, S., and Hutson, P. H. (1987) “Brain 5-HT IA Receptors,“ Ellis Horwood, Chichester, p. 306.Google Scholar
- Ferry, D. R., Goll, A., Glossmann, H., Glaser, T., and Traber, T. (1988) Neurosci. Res. Commun. 2,9–17.Google Scholar
- Glossman, H. and Neville, D. M. (1971) J. Biol. Chem. 246, 6339–6346.Google Scholar
- Hamon, M. (1987) in “Pharmacology” (Rand, M. J. and Raper, C., eds.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 281–284.Google Scholar
- Hamon, M., Emerit, M. B., El Mestikawy, S., Vergé, D., Daval, G., Marquet, A., and Gozlan, H. (1987) in “Brain 5-HT IA Receptors“ (Dourish, C. T., Alhenius, S., and Hutson, P. H., eds.),Horwood, Chichester, pp. 34–51.Google Scholar
- Lübbert, H., Snutch, T. P., Lester, H. A., and Davidson, N. (1987) J. Neuroscience 7, 1159–1165.Google Scholar
- Osborne, N. N. and Hamon, M. (1988) “Neuronal Serotonin.” J. Wiley and Sons, Chichester, Amsterdam, p. 555.Google Scholar
- Richardson, B. P. and Engel, G. (1986) TINS 424–428.Google Scholar
- Rousselle, J. C., Gillet, G., and Fillon, G. (1985) J. Pharmacol. (Paris) 16 421–438.Google Scholar
- Yagaloff, K. E. and Hartig, P. R. (1986) Mol. Pharrnacol. 29,120–125.Google Scholar