On the Manin constants of modular elliptic curves
For M a positive integer, let X 0 (M) Q be the modular curve over Q classifying elliptic curves with a given cyclic subgroup of order M and let J 0(M)Q be the jacobian of X 0(M)Q. An elliptic curve E over Q is said to be modular if it is an isogeny factor (isogenics over Q) of some J 0(M)Q; the smallest M for which this happens is then called the level of E. The Shimura-Taniyama conjecture states that every elliptic curve E over Q is modular, and that the level of E equals the conductor of E. A modular elliptic curve of level M is called strong if there exists a closed immersion E ↪ J 0(M)Q. It follows from the multiplicity one principle for modular forms that such an immersion is unique up to sign.
KeywordsElliptic Curve Elliptic Curf Stable Model Springer Lecture Note Modular Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B.J. Birch and H.P.F. Swinnerton-Dyer. Elliptic curves and modular functions. Modular functions of one variable IV, 2–32. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 476 (1975).Google Scholar
- H. Carayol. Sur les représentations l-adiques associées aux formes modulaires de Hubert. Ann. scient. Éc. Norm. Sup., série 4, t. 19, 409–468 (1986).Google Scholar
- P. Deligne and M. Rapoport. Les schémas de modules des courbes elliptiques. Modular functions of one variable II, 143–316. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 349.Google Scholar
- S.J. Edixhoven. Minimal resolution and stable reduction of X 0 (N). Preprint Utrecht November 1986, accepted for publication in the Annales de l’Institut Fourier.Google Scholar
- S.J. Edixhoven. Stable models of modular curves and applications. Thesis Utrecht June 1989, to be published.Google Scholar
- B. Mazur. Courbes elliptiques et symboles modulaires. Séminaire Bourbaki juin 1972. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 317.Google Scholar
- J.-F. Mestre and J. Oesterlé. Letter to B. Gross, May 1985.Google Scholar
- M. Raynaud. Spécialisation du fondeur de Picard. Publications Mathématiques de l’I.H.E.S. 38 (1970).Google Scholar
- G. Stevens. Stickelberger elements and modular parametrizations of elliptic curves. To be published.Google Scholar
- J. Tate. Algorithm for determining the type of a singular fibre in an elliptic pencil. In Modular Functions of One Variable IV, 33–52. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 476 (1975).Google Scholar