On the Manin constants of modular elliptic curves
For M a positive integer, let X 0 (M) Q be the modular curve over Q classifying elliptic curves with a given cyclic subgroup of order M and let J 0(M)Q be the jacobian of X 0(M)Q. An elliptic curve E over Q is said to be modular if it is an isogeny factor (isogenics over Q) of some J 0(M)Q; the smallest M for which this happens is then called the level of E. The Shimura-Taniyama conjecture states that every elliptic curve E over Q is modular, and that the level of E equals the conductor of E. A modular elliptic curve of level M is called strong if there exists a closed immersion E ↪ J 0(M)Q. It follows from the multiplicity one principle for modular forms that such an immersion is unique up to sign.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B.J. Birch and H.P.F. Swinnerton-Dyer. Elliptic curves and modular functions. Modular functions of one variable IV, 2–32. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 476 (1975).Google Scholar
- H. Carayol. Sur les représentations l-adiques associées aux formes modulaires de Hubert. Ann. scient. Éc. Norm. Sup., série 4, t. 19, 409–468 (1986).Google Scholar
- P. Deligne and M. Rapoport. Les schémas de modules des courbes elliptiques. Modular functions of one variable II, 143–316. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 349.Google Scholar
- S.J. Edixhoven. Minimal resolution and stable reduction of X 0 (N). Preprint Utrecht November 1986, accepted for publication in the Annales de l’Institut Fourier.Google Scholar
- S.J. Edixhoven. Stable models of modular curves and applications. Thesis Utrecht June 1989, to be published.Google Scholar
- B. Mazur. Courbes elliptiques et symboles modulaires. Séminaire Bourbaki juin 1972. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 317.Google Scholar
- J.-F. Mestre and J. Oesterlé. Letter to B. Gross, May 1985.Google Scholar
- M. Raynaud. Spécialisation du fondeur de Picard. Publications Mathématiques de l’I.H.E.S. 38 (1970).Google Scholar
- G. Stevens. Stickelberger elements and modular parametrizations of elliptic curves. To be published.Google Scholar
- J. Tate. Algorithm for determining the type of a singular fibre in an elliptic pencil. In Modular Functions of One Variable IV, 33–52. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 476 (1975).Google Scholar