A Parabolic Equation with a Mean-Curvature Type Operator
The classical mean-curvature operator arises in geometry, and is given by. Mathematically this operator is of particular interest because of its degeneracy for large gradients. The same type of operators arises also in thermodynamical context in the theory of convex free energy functionals, which are asymptotically linear as the gradient tends to infinity ; in particular this leads to the parabolic equation u t = Lu . Observe that here u is supposed to be a function, i.e. u is single-valued, in contrast to the geometric origin of the operator L, where one considers surfaces which may correspond very well to multi-valued functions u.
KeywordsShock Wave Parabolic Equation Entropy Solution Entropy Condition Ground State Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Bertsch and R. Dal Passo, Hyperbolic phenomena in a strongly degenerate parabolic equation, to appear.Google Scholar
- M. Bertsch, R. Dal Passo and J. Hulshof, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Ph. Blanc, Sur une classe d’équations paraboliques dégénérées a une dimension d’espace possédant des solutions discontinues, Thesis University of Lausanne, 1989Google Scholar
- D.S. Cohen, T.S. Hagan, R.L. Northcut and Ph. Rosenau, Delayed diffusion due to flux limitation, Physics Letters, (in press).Google Scholar
- B. Franchi, E. Lanconelli and J. Serrin, “Existence and uniqueness of ground state solutions of quasilinear elliptic equations”, in: Nonlinear Diffusion Equations and their Equilibrium States-I(eds. W.M. Ni, L.A. Peletier and J. Serrin), Math. Sciences Research Inst. Publications, 12 (1988), Springer, 187–252.Google Scholar
- J. Hulshof, An elliptic-parabolic problem: the interface, Thesis University of Leiden, 1986.Google Scholar
- A.V. Ivanov, Quasilinear degenerate and nonuniformly elliptic and parabolic equations of second order, Proc. Steklov Inst. Math., (1984) Issue 1.Google Scholar
- Ph. Rosenau, Free energy functionals at the high gradient limit, Phys. Review A, to appear.Google Scholar
- R. Dal Passo, Uniqueness of the entropy solution of a strongly degenerate parabolic equation, to appear.Google Scholar