Adaptivity and Robustness in Automatic Control Systems
This paper deals with various approaches to the solution of control problems for dynamic plants under uncertainty conditions. It gives a description of the principles for designing discrete-time adaptive and robust control systems and presents a discussion of their properties and specificities. A broader range of possibilities is given by robustly nominal systems that incorporate, together with a feedback loop from the system output, also a feedback that depends on the bias between the system output and the output of a special nominal model.
Robustly nominal systems allow to eliminate or to diminish substantially the effect of input as well as parametric disturbances that are due to parameter fluctuations within the range of uncertainty.
The principles of constructing robustly nominal systems are described together with the conditions for their realization based on criteria for robust stability.
For improving the quality of such systems we use algorithms for identifying the bias between the system output and the nominal model rather than those of identifying the dynamic plant itself. This simplifies the system structure and broadens the range of applications of robustly nominal systems as compared with traditional adaptive systems.
KeywordsExternal Disturbance Characteristic Polynomial Adaptive System Robust Stability Automatic Control System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goodwin G.C., Sin K.S. Adaptive filtering prediction and control. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1984.Google Scholar
- Tsypkin Ya.Z., Aved’yan E.D. Discrete adaptive systems of deterministic plants control. Itogi Nauki i Techniki, Ser. Techn. Kibernetika. Moscow: VINITI, 1985, V. 18, pp. 45-78. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Aström K.J. Introduction to stochastic control theory. New York: Academic Press, 1970.Google Scholar
- Tsypkin Ya.Z., Kelmans G.K. Discrete adaptive control systems. Itogi Nauki i Techniki, Ser. Techn. Kibernetika. Moscow: VINITI, 1984, V. 17, pp. 3-73. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Basar T. Theory of stochastic dynamic noncooperative games. Oxford: basil Blackwell, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kuntsevitch V.M., Lychak M. Guaranteed estimates. Adaption and robustness in control systems. Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences. V. 169, Berlin: Springer Verlag, 1992.Google Scholar
- Voronov A.A., Rutkovsky V.Y. State-of-the-art and prospects of adaptive systems Automatica. The Journal of IFAC. 1984, V. 20, N 5, pp.547-557.Google Scholar
- Aström K.J., Wittenmark B. Adaptive control systems. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1990.Google Scholar
- Tsypkin Ya.Z. Adaptation and learning in automatic systems. New York: Academic Press, 1971.Google Scholar
- Landau Y.D. Adaptive control. The model reference approach. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc., 1979.Google Scholar
- Morari M., Zafiriorou E. Robust process control. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1989.Google Scholar
- Basar T. Game theory and H∞-optimal control: the discrete-time case. Proceedings of the 1990 International Conference on New Trends in Communication Control and Signal Processing. Ankara, Turkey, July, 1990, pp.669–686, Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Francis B.A. A course in H∞-control theory. Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences. V. 88, Berlin: Springer Verlag, 1987.Google Scholar
- Tsypkin Ya.Z. Sampling systems theory and its applications. Oxford: Pergamon Press, vol. 1,2, 1964.Google Scholar
- Kuo B.C. Digital control systems. New York: Halt Rinehart and Winston Inc., 1980.Google Scholar
- Volgin L.N. Optimal discrete control of dynamic systems. Moscow: Nauka, 1986. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Tsypkin Ya.Z. Frequency modality criteria of linear discrete systems. Automatica. 1990, N 3, pp. 3–7.Google Scholar
- Guerrieri J. Methods of introductions functional relations automatical on different analysers. Thesis MIT, 1932.Google Scholar
- Shannon C. Mathematical theory of the differential analyzer. Journal of Mathematics and Physics. 1941, V. 20, N 4, pp. 337.Google Scholar
- Kulebakin B.S. On behavior of constantly disturbed automatization linear systems. Doklady AN SSSR, V. 68, N 5, pp. 73–79.Google Scholar
- Johnson C.D. Theory of disturbance-accomodating controllers. In “Advances in Control and Dynamic Systems”. CT. Leondes (ed.), V. 12, N 7, New York: Academic Press. 1976.Google Scholar
- Francis B.A., Wonham W.M. THe internal model principle for linear multivariable regulators. Applied Mathematics and Optimization, 1975, V. 22, N 5, pp. 170–194.Google Scholar
- Nikolskii V.A., Sevastjanov LP. K(E)-transformation of sampled functions in the problem of discrete systems research. Avtomatika i elektromekhanika. Moscow: Nauka, 1973, pp. 30–36. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Ulanov G.M. Dynamic accuracy and disturbances compensation in automatic control systems. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1971. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Zypkin Ja.S. (Tsypkin Ya.Z.) Grunlagen der informationellen Theorie der Identification. Berlin: VEB Verlag Technik, 1987.Google Scholar
- Aström K.J., Wittenmark B. Computer controlled systems. Theory and design. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1984.Google Scholar
- Anderson B.D.O., Bitmead R.R. et al. Stability of adaptive systems passivity and averaging analysis. Cambridge, Massachusetts, London: MIT Press, 1986.Google Scholar
- Horowitz I.M. Synthesis of feedback systems. New York: Academic Press, 1963.Google Scholar
- McFarlane D.C., Glover K. Robust controller design using normalized coprime factor plant descriptions. Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences. V. 138, Berlin: Springer Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kharitonov V.L. Asymptotic stability of systems family of differential equations. Differential Equations, 1978, V. 14, N 11, pp. 2086–2088. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Jury E.I. Robustness of discrete systems. A Survey. Avtomatika i telemekhanika, 1990, N 5, pp. 3–28.Google Scholar
- Tsypkin Ya.Z., Polyak B.T. Frequency criterion of robust modality of linear discrete systems. Avtomatika, Kiev, 1990, N 3, pp. 3–9. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Polyak B.T., Tsypkin Ya.Z. Robust stability of discrete linear systems. Soviet Physics Doklady, 1991, V. 36(2), pp. 111–113.Google Scholar
- Tsypkin Ya.Z. Robust adaptive control systems. Soviet Physics Doklady, 1990, V. 35, N 12, pp. 1013–1014.Google Scholar