Soliton Turbulence in Nonlinear Optical Phenomena
Nonlinear optical physics, the study of the interaction of matter and intense electromagnetic fields in the visible spectrum, has become a very exciting and fruitful research topic for the applied scientist. This area, which started some 30 years ago, has already produced important applications in laser technology, optical communications and data storage to name some, and has potential applications such as all optical logic devices. It is also a continuous source of current theoretical research in the area of integrable and near integrable equations. It is well known, for example, that the nonlinear Schrödinger (NLS) equation and variations thereof, governs the dynamics of pulses in nonlinear dielectrics. The robustness of the known soliton solutions of the NLS equation , has been verified experimentally as optical pulses have been shown to propagate undistorted for thousands of kilometers in optical fibers .
KeywordsVortex Convection Soliton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V.E. Zakharov and A.B. Shabat, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 61, 118 (1971) (Soviet Physics JETP 34, 62 (1972)).Google Scholar
- S.A. Akhmanov, M.A. Vorontzov and V. Yu. Ivanov, Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 47, 611 (1988) (JETP lett. 47, 707 (1988)); S.A. Akhmanov, M.A. Vorontsov, V. Yu Ivanov, A.V. Larichev and N.I. Zheleznykh, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 9, b78 (1992).Google Scholar
- P.K. Jakobsen, S.G. Wenden, J.V. Moloney and A.C. Newell, “Turbulent patterns in wide-gain section lasers”, Annual Meeting Optical Society of America, Albuquerque NM. 1992.Google Scholar
- V.E. Zakharov, A.N. Pushkarev, V.F. Shvets and V.V. Yan’kov, Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 48, 79 (1988) (JETP Lett. 48, 83 (1988)); A.I. D’yachenko, V.E. Zakharov, A.N. Pushkarev, V.F. Shvets and V.V. Yan’kov, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 96, 2026 (1989) (Sov. Phys. JETP 69, 1144 (1989)).Google Scholar
- A.B. Aceves and S. Wabnitz, “On the solutions of waves propagating in periodic nonlinear structures”, preprint (1993).Google Scholar
- A.V. Mikhailov, JETP Lett. 32, 174 (1980); D. David, J. Hamad and S. Shnider, Lett. in Math. Phys., 8, 27 (1984).Google Scholar
- L. Brillouin, Wave propagation in periodic structures, McGraw-Hill, New York (1946).Google Scholar