Coal-Induced Enhancement of Ethanol and Biomass Production
Inclusion of coal in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cultures enhanced ethanol and biomass production (from dextrose) similarly to yeast extract. Coal-induced enhancement was slower in comparison to yeast extract. Ethanol/biomass ratios were twice as high for coal-induced enhancement. Humic acid also enhanced ethanol and biomass production. Coal supplied nitrogen, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc to cells. Coal facilitated the utilization of cobalt, and reduced the toxicity of aluminum and manganese. Coal-induced enhancement may be a chelation effect; ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid mimicked coal enhancement. Coal also enhanced ethanol and biomass production by Zygosaccharomyces rouxii.
Index EntriesEthanol coal chelator Saccharomyces Zygosaccharomyces
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chemical Marketing Reporter (1994), Dec. 27 issue, p. 7.Google Scholar
- 2.The Oil Daily (1993), Nov. 1 issue, p. 4.Google Scholar
- 3.Eco-Log Week (1993), April 30 issue.Google Scholar
- 4.Oil Gas J. (1993), Oct. 18 issue, p. 19.Google Scholar
- 5.Maiorella, B. L. (1985), in Comprehensive Biotechnology, vol. 3., Moo-Young, M., ed., Pergamon, New York, pp. 861–914.Google Scholar
- 8.Polman, J. K., Breckenridge, C. R., Dugan, P. R., and Quigley, D. R. (1990), in Proceedings: First International Symposium on the Biological Processing of Coal, EPRI, Palo Alto, CA, pp. 462–472.Google Scholar
- 10.Polman, J. K., Breckenridge, C. R., and Quigley, D. R. (1991), in Proceedings: Second International Symposium on the Biological Processing of Coal, EPRI, Palo Alto, CA, pp. P63–P77.Google Scholar
- 14.Vorres, K. S. (1990) Fuel 4, 420–426.Google Scholar
- 15.Daniels, L., Hanson, R. S., and Phillips, J. A. (1994), in Methods for General and Molecular Bacteriology, Gerhardt, P., ed., ASM, Washington, DC, pp. 518–519.Google Scholar
- 17.Chem. Eng.(1962), vol. 69, pp. 68–70.Google Scholar
- 18.Polman, J. K. (1993), in Bioprocessing of Fossil Fuels Program: Quarterly Report, Dugan, P. R., ed., EG&G Idaho, Idaho Falls, ID, pp. 11–20.Google Scholar