Effect of kLa on the Production of Glucose 6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae Grown by Fermentation Process
In a 5-L fermentor (NBS-MF105), Saccharomyces cerevisiae (0.7 g/L) was inoculated into a liquid medium (pH 4.0) containing 17 g/L of glucose, 2.55 g/L of yeast extract, 4.25 g/L of peptone, 2.04 g/L of Na2HP0412H2O, 4.34 g/L of (NH4)2SO4 and 0.064 g/L of MgSO4 7H2O and aerobically cultivated at 35°C for 22 h. Agitation and aeration were adjusted to attain initial k L a values of 15, 60,135, and 230 h-1. The glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PDH) productivity (Pr G6PDH) obtained for kLa values of 15, 60, 135, and 230 h-1 was 10.6, 31.8, 30.3, and 23.3 U/([L-h]), respectively, whereas the cell productivity (Pr X) for the same k L a values were 0.24,0.69,0.69, and 0.49 g/[L h], respectively. Thus, both events are coupled and depend on the dissolved oxygen in the medium.
Index EntriesGlucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation volumetric coefficient of oxygen transfer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bergmeyer, H. U. (1984), Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, 3rd ed., Verlag Chimie, Weinheim, Germany.Google Scholar
- 2.Whitaker, J. R. (1991), Food Enzymology, Elsevier Applied Science, NY.Google Scholar
- 3.Godfrey, T. and West, S. (1996), Industrial Enzymology, 2nd ed. MacMillan Press, London.Google Scholar
- 4.White, J. (1954), Yeast Technology, Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- 6.Joslyn, M. A. (1970), Methods in Food Analysis, 2nd ed., Academic Press, NY.Google Scholar
- 8.Borzani, W. (1975), in Engenharia Bioquímica, vol. 3, Borzani, W., Lima, U.A., and Aquarone, E., eds., Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo, pp. 168–184.Google Scholar
- 10.Garrett, R. H. and Grisham, C. M. (1995), Biochemistry, Saunders College Publishing, San Diego, CA.Google Scholar
- 12.Barman, T. E. (1969), Enzyme Handbook, vol.2, Spring-Verlag, NY.Google Scholar
- 13.Rose, A. H. and Harrison, J. S. (1989), The Yeasts, 2nd ed., Academic Press, NY.Google Scholar
- 16.Doin, P. A. (1975), in Engenharia Bioquímica, vol.3, Borzani, W., Lima, U. A., and Aquarone, E., eds., Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo, pp. 112–134.Google Scholar