Depth-First Search and the Plehn–Voigt Theorem
In this chapter, we explore two methods for proving fixed-parameter tractability results based on the basic graph-theoretic algorithmic technique of depth-first search. These methods also build upon and extend the bounded-treewidth ideas of Chap. 12.
- 71.H. Bodlaender, On linear time minor tests and depth-first search, in Algorithms and Data Structures, Proceedings of Workshop WADS 1989, Ottawa, Canada, August 17–19, 1989, ed. by F. Dehne, J.-R. Sack, N. Santoro. LNCS, vol. 382 (Springer, Berlin, 1989), pp. 577–590 Google Scholar
- 72.H. Bodlaender, On disjoint cycles, Technical Report RUU-CS-90-29, Department of Information and Computing Sciences, Utrecht University, The Netherlands, August 1990 Google Scholar
- 103.B. Bollobiás, Extremal Graph Theory (Dover, New York, 2004) Google Scholar
- 237.R. Downey, The birth and early years of parameterized complexity, in The Multivariate Algorithmic Revolution and Beyond: Essays Dedicated to Michael R. Fellows on the Occasion of His 60th Birthday, ed. by H. Bodlaender, R. Downey, F. Fomin, D. Marx. LNCS, vol. 7370 (Springer, Berlin, 2012), pp. 17–38 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 301.M. Fellows, M. Langston, On search, decision and the efficiency of polynomial time algorithms, in Proceedings of 21st ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC ’89), Seattle, Washington, USA, May 15–May 17, 1989, ed. by D. Johnson (ACM, New York, 1989), pp. 501–512. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=73055 Google Scholar
- 479.M. Langston, Fixed parameter tractability, a prehistory. A Festschrift contribution devoted to Michael R. Fellows on the occasion of his 60th birthday, in The Multivariate Algorithmic Revolution and Beyond: Essays Dedicated to Michael R. Fellows on the Occasion of His 60th Birthday, ed. by H. Bodlaender, R. Downey, F. Fomin, D. Marx. LNCS, vol. 7370 (Springer, Berlin, 2012), pp. 3–16 CrossRefGoogle Scholar