Phase-Change Materials Use in Nearly Zero Energy Building Refurbishment
Phase-change materials have a very big potential as a tool for energy demand reduction in buildings, and therefore, their use in nearly zero energy buildings refurbishment is clearly an option. Nevertheless, there are little examples where PCM have been used for such application. This chapter shows examples where PCM have been used in research for new buildings, highlighting the more appropriate options for refurbishment.
KeywordsThermal Energy Storage Thermal Storage Gypsum Board Latent Heat Storage Sodium Acetate Trihydrate
The work is partially funded by the Spanish government (ENE2011-28269-C03-02). The authors would like to thank the Catalan Government for the quality accreditation given to their research group GREA (2009 SGR 534) and research group DIOPMA (2009 SGR 645).
- Castellón C, Castell A, Medrano M, Martorell I, Cabeza LF (2009) Experimental study of PCM inclusion in different buildings envelopes. J Sol Energ Eng, 131:041006-1–041006-6Google Scholar
- de Gracia A, Navarro L, Castell A, Ruiz-Pardo A, Álvarez S, Cabeza LF (2013b) Thermal analysis of a ventilated facade with PCM for cooling applications. Energ Build (in press)Google Scholar
- de Gracia A, Navarro L, Castell A, Cabeza LF (2013c) Numerical analysis of a ventilated facade with PCM. Appl Therm Eng (in press)Google Scholar
- Kodo T, Ibamoto T (2002) Research on using the PCM for ceiling board, IEA ECES IA, Annex 17, 3rd workshop. Tokyo, Japan, 1–2OctGoogle Scholar
- Mehling H, Cabeza LF (2007) Phase change materials and their basic properties. In: Paksoy HO (ed) Thermal energy storage for sustainable energy consumption: fundamentals, case studies and design. Kluwer Academic Publishers Group, pp 257–278Google Scholar
- Mehling H, Cabeza LF (2008) Heat and cold storage with PCM. An up to date introduction into basics and applications. Springer, USAGoogle Scholar
- Nagano K, Mochida T, Iwata K, Hiroyoshi H, Domanski R, Rebow M (2000) Development of new PCM for TES of the cooling system, Terrastock. In: Benner M, Hahne EWP (eds) 8th international conference on thermal energy storage, pp 345–50Google Scholar
- Soares N, Costa JJ, Gaspar AR, Santos P (2013) Review of passive PCM latent termal energy storage systems towards buildings’ energy efficiency. Energ Build 201(59):82–10Google Scholar