Perivascular Renal Denervation (PVRDTM): Chemical Renal Denervation with Micro-Doses of Ethanol Using the PeregrineTM Renal Denervation Device
In the 1930s–1950s surgical renal sympathectomy was used to treat severe hypertension [1–3]. Despite a successful lowering of blood pressure (BP) observed with surgical denervation, this technique was abandoned due to a relatively high morbidity and mortality, and as a result of the development of more effective oral antihypertensive medications
KeywordsRenal Artery Renal Denervation Renal Sympathetic Denervation Refractory Hypertension Intimal Surface
We wish to acknowledge the expert technical contributions of Jeff A. Burke, Phil C. Burke, Andy E. Denison, and Chris S. Hayden from REV-1 Engineering.
Disclosures, Conflict of Interest
TAF and VEG are principles, employees and co-founders of Ablative Solutions and have equity positions in the company. FV has is a paid consultant working with Ablative Solutions, Inc.
- 1.Harris SH. Renal sympathectomy: its scope and limitations. R Soc Med. 1935;28:1497–510.Google Scholar
- 6.Symplicity HTN-2 Investigators, Esler MD, Krum H, Sobotka PA, Schlaich MP, Schmieder RE, Esler MD, Krum H, Sobotka PA, Schlaich MP, Schmieder RE, et al. Renal sympathetic denervation in patients with treatment-resistant hypertension (the Symplicity HTN-2 trial): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2010;376:1903–9.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Cook S, Goy J, Togni M. Optical coherence tomography findings in renal denervation. Eur Heart J. 2012;10:1093.Google Scholar
- 18.Virmani R. Perirenal nerve distribution, density and quantification: implications for the evaluation of device safety and efficacy. Presentation at TCT Conference, 2012, TCT 2012. p. 1–32 http://www.tctmd.com/show.aspx?id=114463.
- 33.Kocabas H, Salli A, Demir AH, Ozerbil OM. Comparison of phenol and alcohol neurolysis of tibial nerve motor branches to the gastrocnemius muscle for treatment of spastic foot after stroke: a randomized controlled pilot study. Eur J Phys Rehab Med. 2010;46:5–10.Google Scholar