History of Computing
This chapter gives an overview of the history of computing science in hardware, software, and networking, covering prehistoric (prior to 1946) computing devices and computing pioneers since the Abacus. The emergency of social and ethical problems in computing is discussed via the history of computer crimes which started with the invention of the computer virus.
We also discuss the growth of computing technologies like the Internet, the Web, and advanced mobile computing technologies and the rise of computer crimes. Finally we introduce the need for computer ethics education as one of the solutions to the growing threat of a cyberspace attack.
KeywordsVacuum Tube Computer Virus Defense Advance Research Project Agency Computer Crime Defense Advance Research Project Agency
- 1.A history of computers. http://www.maxmon.com/timeline.html
- 2.Baron RJ, Heigbie L (1992) Computer architecture. Addison-Wesley, ReadingGoogle Scholar
- 3.The first microprocessor. http://www.maxmon.com/timeline.html
- 4.A short history of PCs. http://www.highwaysgds.net/pchist.html
- 5.Leina BM, Cerf VG, Clerk DD, Kahn RE, Kleinrock L, Lynch DC, Postal J, Roberts LG, Wolf S A short history of the internet. http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/brief.html
- 6.Gribble C (2001) History of the web beginning at CERN. Hitmill, January 18Google Scholar
- 7.Kizza JM (1998) Civilizing the internet: global concerns and efforts towards regulation. McFarland, JeffersonGoogle Scholar
- 8.Forch K (1994) Computer security management. Boyd & Fraser, DanversGoogle Scholar
- 9.Carnegie Mellon University, Software Engineering Institute. http://www.cert.org/stats/cert_stats.html#incidents
- 10.Kizza JM (2001) Computer network security and cyber ethics. McFarland, JeffersonGoogle Scholar
- 11.Bynum TW (ed) (1985) Computers & ethics. Basil Blackwell, New YorkGoogle Scholar