3D Model Simplification Method with Maintaining Local Features
Current 3D model simplification algorithms only maintain the principal characteristics of the models, leading to the loss of the important characteristics of the local region. Therefore, these algorithms do not facilitate the human understanding of objects. The paper proposes a novel algorithm for simplifying 3D models, which can maintain the local important characteristics. The presented method combines the mesh segmentation algorithm and the simplification algorithm to extract the local visual features while ensuring the high fidelity of the whole mode. Experiments show the proposed algorithm is effectiveness.
KeywordsLocal feature Mesh simplification Mesh segmentation
- 2.He H, Tian J (2002) A survey on mesh simplification. J Softw 13(12):2215–2224Google Scholar
- 3.Shamir A (2004) A formulation of boundary mesh segmentation. 3D Data Proc Visual Transm 578:32–38Google Scholar
- 4.Hoppe H (1996) Progressive meshes. In: Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 96, vol 06. ACM Press, New York, pp 99–206Google Scholar
- 5.Garland M, Heckbert P (1997) Surface simplification using quadric error metrics. Comput Graph (SIGGRAPH Proc) 17:209–216Google Scholar
- 7.Liu Z, Tang Y (2010) 3D model simplification algorithm based on meaningful segmentation. J Southwest Chin Norm Univ 35(1):172–174Google Scholar